Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blackwoodfx

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Ha! Told my friends there was no way that he met with Valve recently.
We wondered if Tim Cook had personally met with Valve too. Our client didn't get that kind of servicing. But, there was enough being said here that we submitted a complimentary tip of our own on the story and I can say adamantly, Apple is interested in what Steam (and other products) can offer. Very interested.

KingJosh

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2012
Australia
After all, how else could we train more Norwegian right-wing terrorists like Breivik, who locked himself up with a couple of them for a year and a half to prepare himself for his slaughter?

Okay, okay, of course not everyone will turn into some kind of terrorist after playing shoot-em-up games. But they'll be pudgy adolescents who've wasted their lives getting fast-twitch reflexes.

lol! i have to remember the fast twitch reflexes bit everyone someone tells me I play girly games instead of FPS. Apparently anything that is not FPS is girly to them. Surprisingly they are all either overweight or very underweight. No normal looking people in the FPS group. Funniest thing of all is they think they are some chief commander in real life just because they can frag a few people in a game hahaha. and they start replying to your comments with Neg or ngtve instead of I disagree or no. So dumb.

MattInOz

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2006
Sydney
screen-shot-2012-04-19-at-7-43-40-pm.png

Art mimics life

ruvil

macrumors regular
Dec 26, 2010
Maybe they met, but since they might be having some cooperations in the future and signed some NDA's and whatnot - they're denying it all.

mrxak

macrumors 68000
Okay, so we have a rumor that Tim Cook was visiting Valve, and a guy at Valve saying he asked a bunch of people and nobody said he was meeting with anybody at Valve. So it's possible he was there, but just didn't meet with anyone. Seriously, if you're Tim Cook, you can probably just wander into any building you like, and people assume you belong there and don't try to stop you. He's Tim Freaking Cook. Nobody's going to ask him what he's doing there, or why he's looking over your shoulder as you work on your super secret Valve console. That would just make you look stupid since clearly he's supposed to be there and he's got permission, right? Right? Okay, so you didn't get the memo, but as long as you keep your head down and don't tell the co-founder when he asks if you've saw Tim Cook lifting design documents from the lab, nobody will think you're incompetent.

Of course, in Steve Jobs' day, people had to come to Cupertino and meet with him. But Tim is out amongst the people, wandering through Foxconn factories, foreign telecom headquarters, and Valve whenever he feels like it. Who's going to stop him?

Well yeah, somebody probably just saw a look-alike in the area and reported it as news to a bunch of rumor sites that spread it all over instead of double-checking the facts. Or, there are NDAs involved and nobody can admit to anything even though it's true.

glimp7

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2009
Austin, Texas, US
Apple needs an official OpenGL Alternative

It's the truth. I'm tired of putting Win7 on my iMac for the sake of running games at a decent frame rate. Please Apple! Get a DirectX license from Microsoft, make your own API, something! OpenGL is god awful!

koobcamuk

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
Amazing headline news story.

In other news, the Pope didn't visit either - even though I heard he did from a dog on my way into work this morning.

Fandongo

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2011
Space
Cook was there but nobody met with him...
So he fixed himself a heaping helping of hot-zpacho.

----------

Amazing headline news story.

In other news, the Pope didn't visit either - even though I heard he did from a dog on my way into work this morning.

Siri translated dog barks to english?
And they're conveying non-sensical gossip?!
Now that's a headline!

Dragado

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2012
It's the truth. I'm tired of putting Win7 on my iMac for the sake of running games at a decent frame rate. Please Apple! Get a DirectX license from Microsoft, make your own API, something! OpenGL is god awful!

This could be a good solution. It would work much the same way as it does on Windows. You'd have a platform-native graphics API, alongside OpenGL for compatibility. That said, people will still likely chose OpenGL for that very reason, but some might go the other way, as they do for DirectX. Either way, something has to be done. PC GPUs are made with DirectX and Windows in mind. It's a challenge to get the same level of performance on other OSes.

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
I think it was carefully worded to put pressure on Apple:

"No one here was meeting with Tim Cook or with anybody at Apple that day. I wish we were! We have a long list of things we'd love to see Apple do to support games and gaming better."

He's been saying that for years now, and Apple never cared.

----------

If that doesn't suit you, you can always go here: http://www.dell.com/

And when you need your computer for actual work, that is the better address anyway.

DrFu79

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2008
Norway
Actually, this is one kind of fake news that could be of some use.

Maybe Tim Cook / Valve will think about this now.

I always felt that Gaming in general could be a great addition to Apple with its strong Consumer Focus.

Think about Gaming Publishers who take advantage of a very small selection of dedicated Graphics Cards on highly optimized Mac Systems.

Gaming on Macs COULD kill. :cool:

shaunp

Cancelled
Nov 5, 2010
Wish it were true, but it's still not enough

I think Tim Cook visiting Valve would only go so far. It would put some weight behind further games development for the Mac.

What I don't understand is the reluctance of developers. The Mac as a platform is growing very quickly. Steam is available, so distribution is easy and the chances of piracy lowered - they also have the choice of using the App Store too. The Mac has a much smaller number of hardware configurations, so is easier to support - i.e. there's no need to cater for an endless number of hardware options. Unless OSX is a real bitch to code in (please correct me if it is) then I don't see the problem. Why aren't we seeing more games for the Mac?

I know it all comes down to cash, and return on investment, but surely Mac is a big enough platform now?

Wardenski

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2012
Even if he was there, nothing would have changed IMO.

Direct X is king. I wonder how many people (%) have bootcamp installed on their Mac.

Gaming on OSX could kill...but gaming on Windows already kills.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.