Vanishing Votes

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, May 1, 2004.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

from the Nation

2. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

Can someone explain to me the logic behind not allowing an ex-con to vote? I understand not allowing someone currently serving time to vote... but an ex-con? That has never made sense to me. The first time someone said (I was in high school) I thought they *must* be mistaken...

3. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

yes - a disproportiantely high number of cons are non-white and a disproportionately high number of non-whites vote democrat. such purges help the GOP.

4. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Another catchy phrase that does the opposite of how its named, just another title of lies to add to the Patriot act,Clean air initiative,No Child left behind.
    Every U.S citizen should be allowed to vote period!!! Politics and games from the white collar crowd.

5. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

When in US history was this decided? Who decided it?

6. SlyHunter macrumors newbie

SlyHunter

When you become a criminal incarcerated you lose most of your citizen rights which includes the right to bear arms and the right to vote. They can regain these rights if they chose thru petitioning a sometimes time consuming process.

7. numediaman macrumors 6502a

Diebold gets their just desserts.

I may be a Diebold stockholder, but I realize this is one vile company.

State Blocks Digital Voting
    The elections chief puts touch-screen and other systems on hold and calls for an investigation of a manufacturer. Registrars are surprised.

By Stuart Pfeifer, Times Staff Writer

SACRAMENTO — California Secretary of State Kevin Shelley on Friday withdrew his approval of electronic voting machines throughout the state — a step that could force many voters to return to paper ballots in November.

Shelley's decision — which experts called the most significant setback yet in the nation's shift to computerized voting — allows 10 of 14 California counties that use electronic voting to reapply for certification if they meet 23 new security conditions.

The remaining four counties — San Diego, San Joaquin, Solano and Kern — are banned from using their touch-screen systems in November. Shelley, the state's top elections official, also called on California Atty. Gen. Bill Lockyer to investigate the company that made the equipment in those counties, Diebold Election Systems, for allegedly lying to state officials.​

8. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

some good news there. i hope ohio is paying attention. florida's probably a lost cause...

9. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

I understanding losing the right to bear arms... but vote? Why???

10. SlyHunter macrumors newbie

SlyHunter

Part of the punishment.

11. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

I guess doing ones time is not sufficient?

12. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

It doesn't get rid of the voters.

13. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Loss of certain civil rights, including the right to vote, has long been part of the punishment for any felony.

I have no objection to the purging, if the one who has been purged is notified. Since one's current address is required by law to be known to the registration office, it should be no problem. It says on my Texas voter registration card that if I move, I am to notify that office immediately. (In Texas, it's the County Clerk's office.)

If you're purged by error as to your felony status, you can go to the registration office and re-register. In Texas, you must be registered no later than 30 days prior to an election. Five months is left for this effort...

'Rat