vanishing zips sits and rars -- where the heck did that file go???

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ibidiem, Sep 25, 2005.

1. ibidiem macrumors member

Okay, so I find a program on the internet that I want to download. And thence I do so, right into my downloads folder. Stuffit or whatever unzips the mutha, and then... where the heck did the unzipped file end up?

I don't know the name of the unzipped file, and it's not always most recent (which is how I find the file that I just downloaded, by having folder "downloads" in list-view, with sort-by-recent selected -- but often the unzipped file turns out to have been modified like in april or last november, you know...)

And this is what urks me about the magnificent spotlight -- where's good ole sherlock's find by "today"?

Anybody have recommendations on some hidden sort of setting I'm missing out on -- 60 gigs is a lot of crap to sift through, and I gather the whole point of os x is to make that sifting as 'spot'less as possible.

2. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

After being uncompressed certain file types get moved immediately to the trash.

3. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

The zip files get trashed. Create a new smart folder and you can search by any criteria you like. The date modified is the date the file was last altered - not necessarily by you.