vanity fair: From the Wonderful Folks Who Brought You Iraq

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Feb 7, 2007.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

vanity fair

i'm still working my way through the piece. but this olive branch from iran in 2003 was news to me:

2. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

I'd read about the Iranian 2003 offer to negotiate before. Obviously, the Bush administration thought they could invade Iran and Syria in the near future and had no need whatsoever to negotiate. In a way, the real issue isn't that they missed an opportunity with Iran, it is, once again, that this administration was completely incompetent in planning the invasion and occupation of Iraq.

And historically, those two concepts sum up this administration: incompetent; Iraq.

3. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Somewhere in the past few days, I read an interview with a German diplomat in which he firmly believes that if the US and/or Israel wage war on Iran, NATO will dissolve.

I'm not sure if that would really happen but US credibility would be destroyed around the world. China, Russia, the EU and most of the ME would be fully justified in taking action against the US and Israel.

4. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

I doubt that NATO would dissolve, but I could imagine there being a lot more effort put into the Common Foreign and Security Policy of the EU and into the idea of a European Army, and possibly a shift in the UK from pro-US to pro-EU.

But realistically, I don't think the war itself would be enough to push any of those things over, especially as long as the Eastern European governments like the Baltics, Romania, Poland, etc. base their foreign policy around a fear of Russia above all other concerns. They can throw enough of a wrench into Europe to keep it from becoming significantly anti-US.

I could also imagine countries withdrawing from the NATO command structure while keeping the political structure intact, like France did long ago.