Vanity Fair + Google + White Supremacists

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by beatsme, Nov 4, 2006.

1. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

I was looking for information on Vanity Fair for another thread, and I happened up the owner's name*, Samuel Irving Newhouse Jr.

I googled Samuel Irving Newhouse Jr., and the link fifth from the top was to a website called "Jew Watch"

yes, it's exactly what you think it is...

I couldn't believe it. I couldn't believe that I'd actually hit upon a racist website (really, I'd heard of them but never had come close to seeing one, and of course I never looked), nor could I believe that a link to one showed up on the first page of a google search. WTF? Is this stuff getting so mainstream now that I should expect it?

* he's one of the owners, at any rate. I'm unsure how big his stake is.

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Unfortunately, racism is still a very real thing in today's society. :(

It disgusts me. :mad:

3. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

So let me get this straight:

Vanity Fair is owned by a guy named Samuel Irving Newhouse Jr. and his name is listed on a web site called Jew Watch?

4. beatsme thread starter macrumors 65816

beatsme

yep...

5. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

where "listed on" means he's a jew being "watched". just so we're clear.

6. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

As others can explain better than I, there are ways to fool Google into displaying something at or near the top of their listings. Let's hope that's all it is.

Freaking racists.... :mad:

Edit: Found it. It's called Google bombing. The article even mentions that Google bombing has been used against the Jew Watch website, but it doesn't mention whether bombing helped Jew Watch get there in the first place.

I'd rather believe that than the notion that Jew Watch is up there "legitimately", but I don't know....

7. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Check out http://www.stormfront.org, if they're still in existence.

We have them show up occasionally at a couple of RKBA websites. For all that they try to be smooth and clever, they're not clever enough in their presentation of racist ideas to avoid instant banning.

'Rat

8. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Actually, unless you want to increase their Google ranking, you might not want to check them out.

9. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Thomas Veil, I always figure it's no bad idea to know the enemy. Some of those creatures are pretty savvy wordsmiths. Knowing how they work can be helpful when you run across somebody who's maybe buying into their snake-oil out of ignorance.

'Rat

10. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Vanity Fair is a great magazine tho. Great photography. Their number one Photographer is Annie Lebovitz.

11. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

whoa. I didnt realize those people were so 'out there'.