Vanwall GPR V12 ‘Road legal’ single seater racing car

Discussion in 'Community' started by iGav, Aug 17, 2005.

1. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Isn't that Lesley Phillips driving? Ding dong...!

Got to get me one of those for the weekly shop...

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I'd have to dust off the leather cap and driving goggles first. Honk honk. :p

3. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

interesting that they'd bring back an open single seater- wonder how it will sell? there certainly can't be much modern competition... :D

4. mpw Guest

Brum, brum...Love it.

Looks like there's plenty of boot space behind the driver, which is nice and practical.

I love these 'old' new cars, there was a guy near me who had the original jigs from Germany of the Merc.300SL Gullwing and convertible from the same era. He was knocking out new ones which were absolutely beautiful; I think he's moved the operation to South Africa or New Zealand for tax/business reasons.
    I see someone tearing the engine and suspension etc. out of modern BMW M5's to make Cobra replicas now too.

5. mpw Guest

Modern open single seater transport *thinks what is availabe* Hmm...*looks at gwuMACaddict's 'tar*

6. MacRy macrumors 68040

MacRy

Very nice! Imagine how that bad boy sounds on full chat.....mmmmmm :)

7. mpw Guest

Once started a 6ltr V12 Merc. S-Class in a corrugated iron shed without it's exhaust system.......it actually hurt, but a 'good' hurt :D

8. MacRy macrumors 68040

MacRy

Ohhhhh man I bet that was nice. A friend of mine used to have a 5 litre TVR Chimera and taking that into underground car parks was beautiful. Used to set off every car alarm in the place :)

9. Mac_Freak macrumors 6502a

THis car has handle pretty well, its light, lots of power. Sign me up for it.
    Will $300 be enough, that is all I have; just paid my tuition :(

10. mpw Guest

I like the the fake tyre mudguard/wheelarches.

11. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

hahahaha I didn't notice the tread on them, anyway like you'd leave them bolted on :p

Now if only Ferrari would see fit and recreate the Sharknose :eek: ;) :) :D

12. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

Actually, there's a number of Cobra replica builders currently on the market, Factory Five comes to mind as the leading manufacturer. The last Mustang car show I went to had 6-8 Cobra replicas. And this is a small show! If I remember correctly, the cars were being built using the Fox Mustang (87-93) chassis and motor.

Now the GT-40 replica, that's another story. Those are rarely seen. Incidentally, the GT-40 trademark is not owned by Ford. That's why the new version is called the Ford GT. This replica company wanted an insane amount of money to release the trademark for Ford to use.

13. mpw Guest

Yeah, I know there are plenty of options but I was just saying that a lot of those are based on old platforms. The M5 option would be nice as the donor cars platform is pretty bulletproof.

14. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

Aren't they now made by a guy in South Africa? I'm sure I remember seeing something on Discovery about it? hmmmmmmmmm.

From what I recall he bought all the moulds designs etc and actually builds what is essentially an original GT40.

Anyhow... shouldn't Ford have really called the GT a GT43? ;)

Either way, an impeccably cool car, even in 'replica' form. :D

15. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

That car ROCKS! I always thought that the Jag V12 from the early 90's deserved a better chassis - this should serve. :D

The number of Cobra replicas out there FAR exceed the production figures of actual Cobras, including the AC version. Most are meh quality but some are excellent and very expensive. As to putting an M5 engine in a Cobra chassis, why? The original 289 or 427 V8 was the heart of the car - if it ain't broke...

A travesty IMHO. Replicar companies appeal to the heritage of the original car for sales, yet in this case they prevented Ford from paying homage to one of their OWN cars by gouging Uncle Henry on naming rights. Not cricket.