Various installers won't run

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by colinet, Nov 9, 2003.

1. colinet macrumors 6502

I'm having problems trying to install various bits of software. The Canon scanner software (for my N1240U) and various PD FTP programmes. When I double click on the installers there is a flicker from the icon and a brief flicker on the icon bat and then nothing. I know it's not the drivers because the scanner worked under Panther via PS7 when I upgraded 10.2.8 to 10.3. HOW I WISH I handn't then reformatted the drive and done a clean install!!!

It's onbviouxsly the installer intself that won't work under Panther.

2. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Try the following.

Restart your computer and try it.

Repair disk permissions.

Delete the installer then do a find for anything related to it (prefs, application support, etc.) then delete them. As long they aren't obviously system installed files.

Re-download the installer.

3. j33pd0g macrumors 6502

My Canon scanner with the N1240U works fine in Panther. The installer worked like it should. I did an upgrade first, but then I had lots of trouble, so then I did a clean install and now everything is fine.

4. colinet thread starter macrumors 6502

What computer are you using? I'm on a Dual G5 but when I tried to install the software on my wife's G3/300 iMac ( also with Panther ) I had exactly the same problem. Which version/type/program of Canon's software are you using? I downloaded the latest versions off the Canon USA site - i'm in Australia I wonder if the software on the Austrlian site is different - doubt it but i'll check.

I just bought VueScan - which works perfectly - but i'm annoyed I had to pay cash to use my scanner.

5. j33pd0g macrumors 6502

colinet, I am using CanoScan Toolbox 4.1, and I am using PS 7.0.1 with the ScanGear CS 7.0X plug-in. Actually both of these apps are using the same plugin just fine.

6. colinet thread starter macrumors 6502

Panic Over - Just downloaded a different installer which has worked fine. Just after I paid for Vue Scan - bugger!!!

Thanks for the advice, everyone. now I can scan our new 10 year old foster daughter's photos for her.

7. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Good to hear you got it working. Just goes to show that a little communication is always good before jumping to conclusions. When things break after installing a new system it's always easy to blame the new system but a lot of the time I find it has nothing to do with it just a horrible coincidence.