various migration issues, please help!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by sambo., Sep 23, 2005.

1. sambo. macrumors regular

Jun 2, 2004
    outback, far from the surf
    greetings one and all. m$ windon't is nearly out of my life. i have just taken delivery of two new iMacs, a 1.8 (Socrates) & a 2.0 (Aristotle), both 17"ers. this is my first real foray into OS-X, but have muchos experience with OS(up to 9.2) which doesn't really count for anything.

i might know enough about windows to be considered a Home User.

ok, i'm running into a few issues with migration (surprise!) and am looking for some help...

1> Networking: The iMacs have been plugged into the office LAN (to "boa01" and "boa02") via a soon to be replaced 10/100 hub) and both can quite happily see/access the M$'98 boxes. However, while Socrates can see Aristotle, Aristotle has some issues with finding Socrates. I would like them both to have "see everything, copy anything, write anywhere" access-rights to each other.

2>Mail: I am coming from Mozilla 1.6. while i can find the appropriate user folder on boa02, attempting to import the mail crashes on Aristotle, every time. I have tried copying the 3.6 gig account folder locally to Aristotle, but it won't let me import from the copy. i have tried the usual zap PRAM, repair permissions et. al. at this stage too, but no dice.

I need the mailboxes set up so both iMacs can see and use the main office e-mail address. They can both currently surf the net, however Socrates has yet to be set up for e-mail.

those are my main issues at the moment, any help would be muchos appreciated.
    - - - -

"eventually" BOA01 (a 1.?? Celeron) will be crammed with large HD's, given a gigabit ethernet card and reborn as a Linux Warehouse, any ideas??
    - - - -

thanx in advance you help.
    sambo. :)
  2. Quartz Extreme macrumors regular

Quartz Extreme

Jun 9, 2005
    Outside of the box
    Make sure that you have sharing turned on in System Preferences. Turning on AppleTalk may help also. If you need more flexibility, try using the free program, sharepoints. (