Various questions about OSX

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Bilba, Mar 1, 2004.

1. Bilba macrumors member

Hi all,

I have been using my new powerbook for couple of days now, and I have some questions that I should have figured long time ago, but didn't.
    It will be great if someone could answer some/all quesstions.

1) When using finder to look at my Harddrive, is there a way to see the size of files/folders without switching to the listview or doing "get info"?
    At the botom of the screen when selecting a file it says how much free space is available, is there a way to change it to the size of the file/directory?

2)When working on with the keyboard is there a way to change the default select behaviour in Mail? I really don't like the way it currently marks messages in Mail (Shift+arrows). It starts fine when doing ****+down arrow, but I would like the shift+upArrow to deselect the last message rather than adding the message from above the starting point.

3)Is there a way to change the terminal cut/paste/scroll behaviour?
    I am having problems copying and pasting text from the web browser into pico. Also when using a terminal editor (pico/emacs) I would like to scroll within the text file rather than scroll the terminal window.

4)Is there a way to add items to the Finder's "Go" menu? I would realy like to create a new link to a directory which I created and assign a keyboard shortcut to that directory.

I got couple of other questions, but i'll start with these 4.

Thanks for your time.

2. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

congratulations for the new pb :)
    I can try to answer the third question i think,,in emacs you can paste as usual, cmd+v, dont know bout pico though..to scroll either you can use the arrow keys, or C-v for down, and M-v for up..in the window..
    In the file, C-n next line, C-p previous line, for pages its C-x-[ and C-x-]

and i would also like to know the first asnwer..

cheers

3. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

This is "sort of" an answer...

Try using iTerm (download free from Versiontracker.com) instead of terminal. It seems to do a much better job, and doesn't steal the keybindings from the application in the window itself (vi, emacs, pico, you name it). Also it has other benefits such as tabbed terminal sessions.

I found Terminal.app to be rather kludgy and eventually gave up on it.