Vatican: condoms don't stop Aids

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Oct 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

link

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

This ranks right up there with...

"Here kiddies, here's a gun go out and play cops and gangbangers. And don't forget to use 'these' hollow-point bullets."

3. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

All one can do is hope that someday the Vatican wakes up to the realities of the modern world.

4. Inu macrumors newbie

These guys really make you laugh your ass off...

Dont use condoms, they arent protective enough. As if not using them at all is going to help :lol:

"There are Holes in Condoms much bigger than the virus itself, so they are not effective" Would actually be a dangerous thing, if the virus could travel itself. Since its sticking to all that stuff that cant pass... Go figure

5. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

6. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

I think its time for a whole replacement of the church leadership.

Remember this Onion piece from a few months back? Headline: "Starving Third World Masses Warned Against the Evils of Contraception."

This is basically the same thing.

Rather than following the statistically proven way to save lives (USE A CONDOM!!!), the Catholic church continues to deny the realities of human desire and actions. People will have sex. Widespread abstinance is a pipe-dream. By denying these realities and scientific evidence pointing to condoms as one of the best ways to stop the spread of desease and unwanted pregnancies (which often lead to abortions), the church is actually contributing to the deaths of thousands and thousands of people.

Yes thats what I said: by ignoring reality and pushing their own agendas on their followers, the church leaders are actually killing people. Sure, they didn't pull the trigger, but their hands are dirty.

Statements like this one by the church only re-enforce my opinion as they are blatently lying to people to further their own agenda.

I hope they repent for their sins.

Taft

7. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

You mean the earth isn't flat, and the earth rotates around the sun? Blasphemy I say!

400 years from now the Vatican will finally admit that yeah, maybe condoms could have prevented the spread of AIDS.

8. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Abstinence, marriage and fidelity would eliminate AIDS.

I'm Catholic, but I'm realistic.
    Condoms work, while the above just ain't gonna happen.

By the way, just about every single Catholic I know ignores or doesn't care about the contraception "rules."

9. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Well, this is the same catholic church that was selling the rights to Asia and trading guns for new Catholics, so why not further the cause any way they can?

If there are more Catholics, there are more people to control and to give to keep the cardinal assembly in gold and fine fabrics.

10. vwcruisn macrumors regular

just another reason that makes me believe that most of the problems in our society today (and historically as well), can be blamed on religion in some way shape or form.

11. Phil Of Mac macrumors 68020

Phil Of Mac

I don't like the Catholic Church either, but face it. Condoms are only 80% effective for stopping HIV. That's a 1 in 5 chance. Russian Roulette has better odds.

And people can control themselves.

12. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

13. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Dito, religion drives me nUtZ!! :eek: IMO it is so often the root cause of many (not all of course) conflicts.

14. Phil Of Mac macrumors 68020

Phil Of Mac

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to play Russian Roulette with one bullet instead of six! Since there's NO WAY you can stop me from playing with guns!

:rolleyes:

Message to the world: End your incessant and indiscriminate copulation or you will die!

15. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Ok, but if you are going to play Russian Roulette anyway, wouldn't it be better to play with one bullet instead of six? Or do you prefer the 6-bullet variety?

16. Phil Of Mac macrumors 68020

Phil Of Mac

"If you're going to play Russian Roulette" anyway is a bad assumption.

Do we really think that people in third world countries are going to have sex no matter what. Do we really think they're that stupid. Is that the depth of racism that we've descended to?

What we do is we tell them, and we prove to them, we make the case to "End your incessant and indiscriminate copulation or you will die".

It's that simple.

17. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Hell, the Russian Roulette analogy was bad from the start. I just picked up where you left off.

And I meant nothing racist by that either, I think people in developed countries copulate just as stupidly as people in developing (third world is such a racist way of putting it;) ) countries do. My only point is that if you are going to have sex anyway, use a damn rubber. I'd rather people did it responsibly with as few partners as possible, but I'm not stupid enough to think that telling people not to have sex is going to work. I think people the world over are going to have sex no matter what.

18. Phil Of Mac macrumors 68020

Phil Of Mac

The risk of contracting HIV from using a condom is 1 out of 5. The odds are, in fact, worse than Russian Roulette.

There have been cases, in Africa, in the past, where, for good or bad, Christianity took over, and people had less indiscriminate sex. And it worked!

The solution to the problem is not to have slightly safer sex. The solution is to not have unsafe sex in the first place.

19. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

And there have been cases where things have improved WITHOUT the Christians. What's your point there? Using a Christian prevents AIDS?

Education, condoms, and abstinance are all effective. Near as I can figure, education is only 50% effective, and even abstinance isn't totally effective (how about blood transfusions, passing AIDS from mother to child etc). I don't see why you would want to remove an effective prevention tool from the toolbox just because it isn't 100% prevention.

20. Phil Of Mac macrumors 68020

Phil Of Mac

I'm not a big fan of Christianity, and it can be done without Christianity. But my point is, for any given individual, it's reckless and irresponsible to say, "Here's a condom, have fun."

21. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

??????

cite your source, please. it's WAY lower than that.

from the CDC
    have a look at the transmission rates for single incident unprotected sex. you'll be surprised at how hard it is to get infected from a single incident. i think there's a reason the CDC doesn't highlight that data.

22. Phil Of Mac macrumors 68020

Phil Of Mac

98% is 1 out of 50. If a Disney amusement park ride had a 1 in 50 chance of killing people, they would be sued. If a medication had a 1 in 50 chance in causing death, the FDA wouldn't approve it.

23. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

especially if it were called "HIV-infected Pirates of Penzance". :)

the 98% effective rate is for repeated sexual contact, not single incident. so maybe a better comparison would be the fatality rate of people who ride several thousand rollercoasters each year.

i don't remember the exact numbers (i looked them up a couple years ago), but, for example, if i were to perform unprotected oral sex on an HIV-infected woman, once, the odds i'd get infected are something like .01%.

you know, i went back to the CDC site to find those tables... and came up empty after 20 minutes of searching. i don't remember them being that hard to find before. hmmmmm.....

24. Phil Of Mac macrumors 68020

Phil Of Mac

Nonetheless, 80% is a figure I've seen from a family planning center.

Anything near 1% is too much of a chance. Even 1% on a repeated basis. I think if people realized that, they would indeed cease their incessant and indiscriminate copulation, out of fear that they would die.

25. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Heh. Ironically, if people ceased their indiscriminate copulation, the human race would likely die.

Or we'd just be really, really boring. And stupid hot chicks would like, almost never get laid.

You really think so many people run around having sex with anyone? I've not found that to be the case in my experience. To the contrary, I think many people are quite discerning about what they'll screw.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.