Vatican rejects Intelligent Design.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by atszyman, Nov 7, 2005.

1. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

link

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

The Catholic Church on the correct side of an issue? Somebody better shut this guy up before their reputation's ruined! :)

3. tristan macrumors 6502a

4. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Holy crap. I'm stunned. If that's real and lasting, it's gonna hurt the ID movement here.

5. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

How come? Everyone knows Catholics aren't real Christians anyway. That's why we left their church hundreds of years ago. ;)

6. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Well, not exactly "rejects". More like... "appends". Thank you fundamentalists for forcing the Church to distance itself from you.

Anybody else see American Dad last night? It was drawing parallels between fundamentalist Muslims and fundamentalist Christians. Even if the show sucks sometimes, they made some good points. Perhaps some of the more progressive members of the Vatican want to make the distinction clear so what is happening in America right now doesn't continue.

7. tristan macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I love American Dad, especially since I used to live in "Langley Falls", aka McLean, VA.

There's something going on right now which is making many people worldwide more fundamentalist. I think it's related to globalization and the pace of technological change, but I don't completely understand it. I have to say that the lower your IQ, the stronger the effects seem to be.

8. Chacala_Nayarit macrumors 6502

Chacala_Nayarit

DRUNK MEXICAN SPOTS VIRGIN MOTHER IN BOWEL MOVEMENT

FREEHOLD IA-- After relieving himself of Tuesday night's Chalupa surprise dinner, José Hernandez was shocked when he found the Mother of Jesus staring up at him out of the toilet bowl. Four hours later, after transporting his stool to a local Catholic church, thousands of Mary worshippers were lined up to scratch and sniff the Virgin Mother. Later that week it was found that the display violated several sanitation ordinances, thereby allowing the Godly members of Landover Baptist church to act on the Lord's behalf. Health inspectors issued 14 citations against the Roman Church. In addition, they carted away a partially decomposed shrunken saint's head, and a small glass vial marked "Seed of Jesus."

That's inteligunt desine stool! :D

9. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

The Catholic Church has for quite some time endorsed the theory of evolution.

10. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Indeed. The Church can be quite maddening -- dogmatic on some issues, open-minded on others -- but evolution has been accepted by the Church for a while.

(The other Catholic concept I love is the very narrow definition of a "just" war. Needless to say, the current Iraq conflict doesn't come anywhere near to meeting that definition.)

11. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Yeah, it feels like Catholicism is actually more of a hobby than a real religion.

12. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

I think the thread title is in reference to Sunday Night Bingo.

13. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Brilliant, I am happy to see the church is supporting evolution. At least some good sense is still out there. Now to get Creationists in the US to listen!

14. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

This ought to knock down the super nutty christians down a peg or two.

I'm a fan of progress. Without moving with the times (earth not being the center of the universe, evolution, etc..) the church would become obsolete and just a bunch of crazy fanatics.

15. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

It's probably the approaching Apocalypse.

News to me.

I had heard the previous Pope was against the war. But Bush is against gays and abortion and progress, so Catholics voted for him. Even if Kerry was a Catholic.

Yeah, I don't get it either.

You'd think. But no.

16. takao macrumors 68040

takao

actually it's old news.. just last year such statements were already made by the former head of conregation of faith which has stepped up a rank since then ;)

17. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

and yet when i brought that up with my mom's catholic nut friends last year before the election... they tried to claim the pope hadn't condemned the war.... uggh

18. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Everyone knows the Pope loves killing people.

That would have been funnier with the last Pope. I'm not so sure about the current one. They should have gone with the Nigerian guy. I wonder how many Catholics would have been cool with that.

19. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Easy to refute their claim.
    Bring up google.
    Type in: pope war Iraq
    View results.

20. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

from the first result:

http://www.cjd.org/paper/jp2war.html

i'm not sure if you were saying he was for or against......

21. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Sorry, just re-edited my post for clarity.

22. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

haha. i almost threw in a "you showed me! :rolleyes: "

glad i asked for clarity. :)

23. GorillaPaws macrumors 6502a

GorillaPaws

Hey guys, this is my first post in the Political Forum, and I hate to be THAT guy, but what's so wrong w/ the intelligent design argument (I'm not saying it should be taught as science in public school or anyting)? I'm a philosophy major and of all Thomas Aquinas' arguments for the existence of a Divine being, I thought his intelligent design argument was the best. For those who haven't read it, the super quick modified (for simplicity/brevity)version goes like this:
    -A caveman(or any person ignorant of technology) walks in woods and stubles on a watch.
    -Even though he's never seen one before, and has no understanding of how it works, the complex interworkings of the device leads the caveman to believe that this is not a random phenomena, but had to have been crafted by something w/ intelligence.
    -The world/universe is lke a watch because it is very intricate (too intricate to be random) and therefore, even though we may not fully understand who created it, or how it works, we can infer that something with an intelligence must have created it.

Now I'm not a religious dude or anything, but I do think this argument has some merrit to it. Especially since it seems to be able to coincide w/ evolutionary theory e.g. what if that intelligent design of the universe only consisted of the laws of physics and nature, and the rest just evolved from there? Something like this seems to satisfy both the scientists claims and yet provides some justification for believing in some sort of divine power, No?

24. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

you're hit upon the correct point: where should it be taught? the current debate and lawsuits are about teaching it in science class in public schools.

personally, i think ID is crap. it's not even a real theory, just conjecture to fit a preconceived notion. i wouldn't object so much to having it taught in, say, a philosophy class. but let's not pretend it's something it's not.

25. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Unfortunately for that argument, the world is not like a watch at all, not that watches had been invented in Aquinas' time. This is philosophical speculation, not empirical science.
    No.