Vauxhall's new alloys are steel

Discussion in 'Community' started by iGav, Aug 22, 2005.

1. iGav macrumors G3

Fresh thinking by the Vauxhall people. ;)

Yeah I know it's a little ironic, 'fresh' thinking and Vauxhall don't exactly go hand in hand, but this isn't actually that bad an idea. ;)

Rinky dinky link

Shame they can't do something similar with the rest of the car, like replace the entire body with something that doesn't look like a '90's throw back. :p

Thoughts?

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Cost cutting at its finest, I'd say. Interesting that they didn't say wheels, but used the word alloys. Of course, steel is an alloy, just not a premium kind.

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

"A little heavier"? That doesn't say much about the standard alloys really! I know that on my car the alloys contribute a lot to the cooling of the brakes as well and unsprung weight is something to be avoided at all costs. Vauxhall really do make pretty rubbish cars and stuff like this just makes them look worse.

4. dops7107 macrumors 6502a

dops7107

Interesting. People buy "alloys" for style purposes, and I guess they are more exclusive. I guess now you can have a poor-man's alloy - and that just won't cut the mustard. ;)

5. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

if you are constantly hitting the curve, new wheels aren't the solution to your problem.

6. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

English slang. ;)

7. anonymous161 macrumors 6502

Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains
    Obviously the 5 spoke design on a steel wheel is sort of new, but the hubcap held on by lugnuts is not a new concept. My '01 Civic has that. I really don't know why more companies don't.

8. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Not just style. Alloys weigh less (interestingly the ones that people buy for "style reasons" tend to weigh quite a lot). This is a major advantage as it lower unsprung weight which reduces suspension wear. They also have lower rotational momentum (or whatever it's called) so make it fractionally easier to accelerate (less weight to turn). And as I noted above they improve air flow to the brakes as well as heating up like a heat sink improving brake performace.

All in all pretty good!

9. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

This is a good idea.

In the US "styled" steel wheels are common on pickup trucks and vans, though they are heavier than modern alloys (who cares when you're driving a 3-ton truck?). In the early 90's a lot of the alloy wheels on domestic cars were just as heavy as their steel counterparts - a friend of mine has a '91 Pontiac Grand Prix with very poor alloys - they leak badly and weigh the same as steel wheels.

Still - I once hit a pothole and put a big enough dent in one of my steel wheels that it had to be replaced, so steel isn't invincible. :eek:

I'm sure that in a few years cars in the US will have these new styled wheels, since the US domestic car market is always a late-adopter.

10. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I'm sure there are people who would go for the $20 plastic spinners, or wheel covers with slotted/drilled brake discs on them instead of this ;)

11. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Oh cool, so alloys do serve a purpose? I always thought they were a style thing?

If I have hubcaps with a plastic cover/lid over it, is that really bad for my brakes and car? :confused:

12. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Nope. I highly doubt you'll overcook your brakes in general road usage. However, if the brake pedal gets spongy at all, you may want to invest in some nice open alloys. :)

13. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

You won't damage the brakes (normally) but you may well see them fade more quickly if you are using them hard (stopping from high speed a lot in a short space of time or driving a heavy car down a tight twisting road for example). The time I really noticed my brakes getting hot was on the track when some friends said my brake disks had turned blue!