VB3.6 Soon?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by lexus, Jun 30, 2006.

1. lexus macrumors 68000

lexus

Do you think the Forums will be upgraded to Vbulletin 3.6 soon, I know it is still in Beta but it has some amazing features plus it is very stable, they are using it over on Vbulletin.com.

Just a thought.

2. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

vBulletin 3.6 is on the third beta, issued less than 2 weeks ago, and there are still known problems with it, so it's not clear when the beta period will be over. arn usually chooses to wait for officially released versions. We're already on the latest officially released version.

The new features are nice, but probably not worth risking the stability of MacRumors.

Among the new features: multi-post quoting, automatic links to quoted posts, auto-resizing of photo attachments, selecting threads vs. posts when doing a quick search, attachment pop-ups on forum display pages, and warnings when your Private Message inbox is nearly full.

Best of all: For the first time, signatures can be limited by line length automatically, so the moderators don't have to enforce that rule manually. :)

3. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

Why use a beta software as a fulltime use on a forum?

That is just asking for trouble. Not including that if there are major changes or even some minor but specific changes you have to go in and modify all source changes you made and make sure that all hacks you have running work again.

And with betas coming about every week or two that would mean you have to make sure the hacks and source code modifications work on every beta

Why not just wait till the Gold version comes out then run your private forum with the same modifications and make sure it works so that you have a clean update.

Let me reiterate. It is stupid to run a site on beta software that is changing every week and is unstable.

Now don't use vbulletin.com using 3.6 as an example why macrumors can, they created the software and i can guarantee you that theirs would be a hell of a lot more stable than the beta's out. Also they have almost zero if not zero extra vbulletin.org hacks running on the site. I am going to go on the case of zero hacks.

4. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

multi-post quoting. mmmmmmmm i hate doing the tags myself. i bet that will reduce double posting (at least for me)

5. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

well there has always been a easy modification on vbulletin.org that added this feature and it has only taken Jelsoft oh about....well....a very long fracking time to add it in standard.

6. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I know I'm waiting until 3.6 goes gold to upgrade a forum I help run. Although I'll probably upgrade our test board to 3.6 beta to make sure our custom skin works and make any neccesary changes

7. lexus thread starter macrumors 68000

lexus

What board is that?

8. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

No, if we were to lose MR, even for a short period of time.......... :eek:

9. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

I think I'd have to swallow my mini like it were one of those DayQuill pills and hide in my closet..

10. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I'm really looking forward to the multi-quote functionality, but I've been getting by for this long using the manual method so I'm not in any rush for it. ;) :cool:

11. AvSRoCkCO1067 macrumors 65816

AvSRoCkCO1067

Yeah...remember that night a few nights ago...when it was down???

That was a terrible night.

12. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Was it, really?? Phew, if so, then I'm glad I wans't around - I would've had a heart attack! :eek: ;) :D

13. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Ya, that was a terrible night. :eek:

14. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Anyone who takes a moment to consider it will understand that waiting for a release version will keep it calmer around here.

Think of all the hubbub that happens if the forums go down for even less than an hour, or if there's an annoying bug. Then imagine what would happen if it was like that for an extended period of time, and there were multiple bugs or issues going on at once. :eek:

15. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

More than likely 3.6 wont screw up a custom skin, it isn't like updating from 3.0 to 3.5 which screwed up my own custom skin. There may be very minor changes but nothing substantial that would make the skin unusable.

16. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

The world as we now know it would come to an end! :eek: ;)

17. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Feel free to take your time upgrading then. New features are nice, but I'd rather have stability. We aren't Microsoft here. ;) :p

18. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

No, we most certainly are not, thank God! :eek: :D

19. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

People get all upset when the smiles are out of order never mind when the forum is down.:p

20. spicyapple macrumors 68000

spicyapple

Uh huh. Like that's going to happen. :p

21. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

That's so true!

22. lexus thread starter macrumors 68000

lexus

It is out now so will there be an upgrade soon?

23. cwedl macrumors 65816

cwedl

24. spicyapple macrumors 68000

spicyapple

arn must be rolling his eyes at us. He must be thinking...

*Upgrades won't happen until after WWDC and a point upgrade is released! Everybody, just just SHUT UP already!!!* :p

25. cwedl macrumors 65816

cwedl

He must know by now that us demis are high maintenance. :D