VCD Help?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by SteveBeat, Sep 24, 2003.

1. SteveBeat macrumors member

Question:

I'm a big fan of the show Upright Citizens Brigade. My buddies (who are sadly PC users) made VCD's of all 30 episodes, and I desperately need them. However, when i tried to play them in my iBook on the Combo Drive, I got something that I believe said "Chinese File Data Error" or something similar.

I have Toast now, so I can make my own VCD's, but my network will take a long time to DL the episodes myself, so I would kinda just like to be able to burn them from my friends. Is my idea impossible? Do I need extra software or anything? Thanks.

DOMOMISSAGREGOROPOUROUS

2. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

If you create a disk image of the VCD and burn that image to a CD, that should work.

3. Ramsos macrumors regular

Ramsos

OSX does not play vcd's without 3rd party software such as Macvcd, so you wouldn't be able to play them without something like that.. You should be able to copy them with toast or the osx disc burning software. It's funny how you can make vcd's with toast but you can't play them back without other software, But then again you can make mpeg2 videos in osx if you have DVD studio pro but they won't playback in quicktime without paying extra for the Mpeg2 playback option good luck.

4. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

5. Sol macrumors 68000

Sol

Doesn't the DVD Studio Pro package include the MPEG2 component for QuickTime?

6. Ramsos macrumors regular

Ramsos

7. DVDwannabe macrumors newbie

DVD Studio Pro

The Mpeg component is in 1.5, but its only to encode. The player component is in 2.0.

8. RichP macrumors 68000

RichP

VideoLAN works well for VCD.

Upright citizens brigade was an AWESOME show. :D