VCR to digital format(MPEG,quicktime,avi)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by inlimbo, Feb 13, 2005.

1. inlimbo macrumors 6502

Jan 29, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    Hi boys and girls,

I want to throw out all of my VHS video tapes. Im sick of seeing them collect dust on in my shelf. I have a whole lot of VCR tapes with a few music video clips on them or a music documentary or a live performance on David Letterman etc... Can I somehow hook up my VCR to my powerbook and convert the VCR to a digital format (Quicktime, MPEG, avi etc...) so that I can burn then to DVD later. What cables and software do I need? Do I need a DV camcorder because I dont have one :(.

Your help is much appreciated

2. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

Jun 29, 2004
    Two choices I can present:
    1.) Buy a cheap DV camera, and you can hook up your vcr to it, and record from VHS>MiniDV. Then, you can import into iMovie. Then, you'll have to compress it somehow or it'll be giant.
    2.) Buy a VHS/MiniDV tape deck, and you can go straight in to your PB via firewire, and import with iMovie. (I believe the deck is on the Apple site:search SR-VS30.) This option's easier, but more expensive. But then again, if you ever get into'll have a dedicated deck! (You can also easily put your DV tapes onto VHS or vice versa if you want).