Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rinseout

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 20, 2004
Hi,
I'm looking for a good replacement for xfig; basically I do a lot of technical drawings (a lot of geometry with angles and curves and such which need to be annotated with greek and roman letters, sometimes words. I also can't spend ages perfecting these things: they need to be correct, nice-looking, and easy to make).

I'm getting really sick of xfig: to my knowledge, you can't even mix fonts in a text object. But xfig does most of what I want, just not easily.

Anyway, said replacement must be able to export encapsulated postscript (EPS) and will preferably be cheap/free. Am willing to consider payware if it gets me what I want...

Anyway, suggestions welcome.

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
Not exactly cheap, but I'll throw out the industry standard: Adobe Illustrator. You can get a free 30 trial, I think, to see if it does what you want it to. If you're a student, you can get it cheaper.

EDIT: Yikes! I had no idea that the retail price for this program was so high! I don't think my "solution" really applies anymore! I don't know any alternatives though...sorry. ):

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
rinseout said:
Hi,
I'm looking for a good replacement for xfig; basically I do a lot of technical drawings (a lot of geometry with angles and curves and such which need to be annotated with greek and roman letters, sometimes words. I also can't spend ages perfecting these things: they need to be correct, nice-looking, and easy to make).

I'm getting really sick of xfig: to my knowledge, you can't even mix fonts in a text object. But xfig does most of what I want, just not easily.

Anyway, said replacement must be able to export encapsulated postscript (EPS) and will preferably be cheap/free. Am willing to consider payware if it gets me what I want...

Anyway, suggestions welcome.
You might consider Canvas X.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.