Vector works

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by The Grad, Jun 3, 2005.

1. The Grad macrumors newbie

The Grad

Any one out there know where I can get(download) vector works from?

Cheers!!

2. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Why Vector Works?

I much prefer ArchiCAD. As I recall, both of them require a hardware key so (*ahem*) "acquiring" them is not enough.

3. The Grad thread starter macrumors newbie

The Grad

Vectorworks

If ArchiCAD is better, where can I get this from? :rolleyes:

4. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

Having used VectorWorks for years I know that it doesn't require a hardware key

and ArchiCAD is much more expensive than VectorWorks which is why so many people use VectorWorks instead

5. Balin64 macrumors 6502a

Balin64

The last two revisions of VectorWorks DO require a dongle. The software will not work without it.

VectorWorks Spotlight is simply amazing software. I would not have been able to afford it without the edu discount, however: it is very pricey.

To the original poster: posting on how to "acquire" software on these forums is generally frowned upon. I believe that members like Mischief and myself - who don't really care what you do - are in the minority.

But, as I respect the MacRumbors community, I feel kind of obligated to tell you.

That said: good luck with your CAD search!

6. The Grad thread starter macrumors newbie

The Grad

Can you tell me where the cheapest place is to get cad software for my G3 ibook.

7. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

that's not the case for the VectorWorks package that's sold in the USA....no hardware key is required for the standard package sold here.......there is an education version that's sold in the USA and I believe it requires a key......and I'm under the impression that some of the international versions require a key......but the current VectorWorks version 11.5 sold in the USA doesnt require a key

8. The Grad thread starter macrumors newbie

The Grad

I still have not got a reply to "Can you tell me where the cheapest place is to get cad software for my G3 ibook."

9. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

kinda depends on your situation and what type of CAD software you need

your screen name suggests you might be eligible to purchase an education version so your school might be a good source.....both ArchiCAD and VectorWorks offer education versions....if you cant buy them through your school then contact the software publishers directly for help

If you go to apple.com>made4mac and do a search for CAD software you'll get a list of products and their publishers and that'll give you a source for contact info.....it'll also show you other software to consider

CAD software ranges from 2D drawing programs to high end 3D Modelers and rendering programs.....if you dont qualify for an education discount then you can look for a program that will do what you need but doesn't include features that you don't need....obviously the more a program will do the more expensive it's apt to be.....so don't buy more than you need

at the least expensive end for 2D CAD drawing there's even shareware available...CADintosh for example..........or maybe you have Adobe Illustractor? There's a plug-in called CADtools that adds drafting tools to AI and is relatively inexpensive.....for about $150 there's a 2D program called HighDesign that's aimed at architects.

again, do the search at made4mac at apple.com......besides CAD, you can search for 3D modeling programs if that's what you need. Some of the publishers also offer less expensive versions of their products as an intro program to get you started.

unfortunately if you really need an archicad, a vectorworks or some other high end package, you're not going to find legitimate resellers offering huge discounts on the full-featured current version of the software.

you might get a deal on older versions on ebay if you're patient....people do switch programs and sell off their unused software occassionally although you might have to look for a while to find a seller