Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rchawks

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 12, 2014
Is anyone here familiar with forums concerning vegan dairy free protein sources for lifting weights without gaining excess mass. Everything I've found on the subject is gear toward selling product as oppose to links. Thanks.

Last edited:

macs4nw

macrumors 601
Is anyone here familiar with forums concerning vegan dairy free protein sources for lifting weights without gaining excess mass. Everything I've found on the subject is gear toward selling product as oppose to links. Thanks.

How about quinoa; not sure about calories or gaining mass, but quinoa is a complete protein.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/diana-herrington/7-benefits-of-quinoa_b_3363619.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quinoa
http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=142

Rchawks

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 12, 2014
Right now we use whey, pea protein, but we're fazing out the whey because it's a source of dairy. We also use quinoa which will continue to be in our diet. Our food intake is switching from flextarian to a more vegan source. Dairy being excluded. My workouts are becoming more intense and I'm nearing my limit of min. weight for my height which concerns me some. Hemp would be excellent, but I worry about a false positive on a drug test with that one at work so I avoid it like the plague. I would like to remain lean without gaining bulk, currently My weight is 137 lbs. but anyone who knows me guesses 165.

Last edited:

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Unless you are lifting a box of veggies they seem lighter than lifting actual weights.:p

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012

You're going to want to get your basics down.

Gaining mass is only going to happen if you eat more calories than you can burn. Doesn't matter if you eat cheeseburgers or Bananas. If you're in a caloric surplus you will gain weight.

For vegan protein:
Spinach
Kale
Peas
Nut Butter (peanut, cashew, almond, etc etc)
Hemp
Beans
Lentils
Tofu
Kashi bars

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
It isn't too hard to discern between non-essential and essential amino acids along with the notion of "complete protein."

There are plenty of information on the Internet categorizing various food sources and which of the above they fall in. As well, there are notions of how to maximize the ability to get the most out of the food sources (how much, with what other foods etc. to ingest at a given time).

Some things you might want to consider -

Types of soy products and their positive and negative impact and select what may remain a product that is positive.

Check out the movie - Forks over Knives

Reconsider complete absence of animal product for minimal animal product (not for a food source but more about keeping your body adaptable to food sources as this relates to allergy response).

Discover the impact of pH balance, negative impact of whole-milk products on bones etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.