Vegie Box Schemes......[UK]

Discussion in 'Community' started by sreedy, Sep 6, 2005.

1. sreedy macrumors 6502a

People,

I use one of these Organic Vegies Home Delivery services to get my weekly fill of Vegies, now I love this and think it's a great idea. The company I use (riverford) are now producing a meat box and I am considering taking it up, I was just wondering if anyone here uses this service and has any feedback on the quality and/or quantity????

Cheers,

Sreedy

2. mpw Guest

I've never used a meat box service and only used a veg service a couple of times but I love the URL: well hung meat .com!

3. sreedy thread starter macrumors 6502a

lol..... yeah that's a cool name. I was at an Organic Food Festival in Bristol this weekend and they had a van there, brought a burger from them and it was lush. Have to say the whole festival was excellent..... loads of free samples of meat, vegies, tea, coffee, cheese, chocolate..... I could go on.

4. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I used a boxed veggie service a few times but disliked the unpredictability of what you might find when you opened the box. Sure they guaranteed some things like potatoes and carrots but then it was anyone's guess. Since I don't eat a lot of red meat, I'd be loathe to find I had lots of offal in my freezer and not get the full use of it.

I tend to buy my meat from Borough Market where the small producers can generally tell you the name of the cow it came from ;)

5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

So they deliver once a month? Do you order a month's supply of veggies and meat and keep it all in the fridge, or do you freeze them?

EDIT: A bit off-topic, but does anyone know what happened to LeapingSalmon.co.uk (or leapingsalmon.com, which leads to the same site)?? They seemed to be doing so well, and now their website is gone. Hate to think they had to close shop. :(

6. sreedy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Now you see that is what I like about it, get some odd veggie I have never seen, look it up on their site and get a recipe and cook something new and cool.... I generally eat anything so love the variety.

The veggies come once every two weeks for me and they all last the two weeks in the fridge (v. full on delivery day!), you can get it weekly but I found even the small was too much (I get medium now).

The meat will come fortnightly too, this is the only option at the moment..... in with the delivery you get a meal planner and suggestions on what to freeze for week two and what to put in the fridge

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

The included recipies aren't good enough. Then you still need to go out and get the veggies you need to follow the recipe.

I think they should sell a combo "Veggie and Meat" pack, and offer recipies in the box. That part of their system is fine. However, they should include the veggies and meat required to cook the recipies they provide.

That's what LeapingSalmon did. Too bad it was only in the UK. :( They had same day delivery in central London, too (probably Zone 1 and 2). Basically, it was a food delivery service where they didn't cook the food for you. If you bought a fancy chicken or beef dish from them, you had to cook it yourself, but they include the chicken you need cut up into pieces for you already. You don't have to weigh the amount of chicken.....they did it for you. Same with the spices......all measured for you. And the veggies. The only thing you have to do is put the pre-cut meats, veggies, spices, and sauce into the frying pan, oven, boiling water, etc, when they tell you to. If you can follow simple instructions, you would get a delicious meal in a very short time. :)

I haven't eaten their food before (don't live in the UK anymore), but I ordered it as a gift for 2 ex-flatmates several times, and they always loved it.

8. sreedy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sounds like a good service Abstract.

I still like the veggie box, yes you migth not have all you need to cook every recipe but then I still go shopping..... just buy less veg

9. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I'm up for eating lots of different things too but there's a limit to how often I want swedes and fennel which for a while was the only things I was getting outside potatoes and carrots. When I get home at night, sometimes the last thing I want to do is get really creative with recipes. I tend to leave that to the weekend when I have more time.

Once they've been in the fridge for 2 weeks, don't they lose some of the added organic vitamins? ;) I tend to buy fruit and veg every few days (half a bag or so on the way home) from the local greengrocer so that I'm hopefully getting it as fresh as possible - tho I tend to buy what I'm in the mood for so I probably don't experiment as much as you get to.

Abstract, I'm not sure about LeapingSalmon. There are still stalls doing similar things at Victoria station so they may just have changed their name. I'll check and see.

10. dcv macrumors G3

That leaping salmon food pack thing sounds a bit like Rocket who had a stall at Liverpool Street station (outside Boots in the arcade bit that goes out towards broadgate circle). Not sure if this still exists or not as i work from home these days but i remember seeing they had several different recipes each week, usually one veggie one, a couple of meat and a couple of fish dishes, with all ingredients pre-cut and individually sealed that you took home to cook yourself.

back to the original topic, i've always wanted to but never tried one of those organic veg boxes. i'm not sure how much you get but i'm a one-person household so i prefer to shop for fresh stuff as and when i need it.

as for the meat box... think i'll pass.... i've been a strict veggie for about 18 years....no converting me now!!