Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

way77

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2006
On the Waters...
Go for it

I have a Viewsonic VA1912wb, 19" widescreen and I love it. I saw the 22" at OD and was equally impressed with the screen image altho the I don't like the shiny black case design.

Temujin

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2005
Copenhagen
I would go with ViewSonic over any Dell, Sony, Samsung etc. any day. I own a VP201b and I just love it. Been on almost 12/7 for the last I guess 3 years with out a glitch.

Link (mine is the model before this one though)

I want this one next time. Sooooo nice

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
ViewSonic is widely considered one of, if not the best independent display maker in the world. They've built this reputation over like 20 years.

Displays are what they do. That's all they do.

Sadly, they're also usually expensive. We are all not so lucky to own ViewSonic displays. I'm sure glad I do!!!

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Dec 24, 2004
Finally I have arrived.....
For some reasons, when I see ViewSonic's LCD monitors side by side with Samsung and Sony, its color and crispness of what the show on the monitors are not as clean or crisp as Samsung and Sony monitors. Maybe the retail stores are setting up ViewSonic monitors in a wrong way compared to other monitors.

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
YS2003 said:
For some reasons, when I see ViewSonic's LCD monitors side by side with Samsung and Sony, its color and crispness of what the show on the monitors are not as clean or crisp as Samsung and Sony monitors. Maybe the retail stores are setting up ViewSonic monitors in a wrong way compared to other monitors.

Likely, because I have never seen any Sony or Samsung display compare to a ViewSonic. Especially in reproducing black without any LCD backwash.

Of course, unless your one of those people that "oohs" and "ahhs" at the glossy coating that Sony is putting on everything.

I've also noticed that most retail stores like Best Buy and Circuit City (gasp!) have really low end ViewSonics instead of the stunning ones.

Is ViewSonic still the only display maker with a 2ms display?

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Dec 24, 2004
dpaanlka said:
I've also noticed that most retail stores like Best Buy and Circuit City (gasp!) have really low end ViewSonics instead of the stunning ones.

Is ViewSonic still the only display maker with a 2ms display?
I was not aware ViewSonic makes the high end LCD monitor. I thought the ones I see in the retail stores such as BestBuy, CompUSA, Circuit City are some of the popular ViewSonic displays.

3nm

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2006
i bought a viewsonic N2750W 27" lcd tv about 8 months ago. it was on sale at compusa and the specs were awesome at its time w/ lots of input options.

how do the specs compare to others? if the specs are good and the price is right, i'd say go for it cos viewsonic is good at making monitors. iirc they are actually the oem behind many brandnamed displays.

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
YS2003 said:
I was not aware ViewSonic makes the high end LCD monitor. I thought the ones I see in the retail stores such as BestBuy, CompUSA, Circuit City are some of the popular ViewSonic displays.

Since when did high-end = popular sellers?

Hell, since when did Best Buy or Circuit City carry the highest end of anything?

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Dec 24, 2004
dpaanlka said:
Since when did high-end = popular sellers?

Hell, since when did Best Buy or Circuit City carry the highest end of anything?
I admit my argument is flawed. However, many consumers would look at the LCD display in person to check on the screen quality before purchase, I did with my Apple ACDs. If what I saw at Apple Stores are less than what I expected, I would not have bought them. But, I ended up having 20" and 23" ACDs. When I buy my next Mac which is powerful enough to drive a 30" ADC, I would get the 30" ACD along with my new Mac as well. If ViewSonic has better ones in store than the ones we see at the retail stores, I think they should start showing them off at the retail stores. Seeing is believing, as the old saying goes.

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
ViewSonic has historically been very bad at marketing to consumers. They usually only advertise in Mac magazines, and pro magazines focused on video editing and photography in stuff. They really don't seem to try very hard for the consumer market.

uaaerospace

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2005
Alabama
I picked up a 20.1 widescreen ViewSonic a couple of months ago for $300 at Office Max. I not a professional as far as color exactness is concerned, but I have been pleased with the monitor. There were no dead pixels and the stand matches the case of my G5 nicely.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.