VelociRaptors in an R4?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by chancecrail, Mar 12, 2013.

1. macrumors newbie

I'm trying to upgrade my media storage workflow as to better prepare myself for a larger bulk of video editing projects. (I shoot using a Nikon D600, edit using both Apple and Adobe pro suites.)

I know that what I should do is buy a server and use that to edit (reading media storage directly to the chipset is always faster than editing from an external array, of course) but I don't have the cash to spend on a new machine.
    So, instead, I plan on buying a Pegasus R4 to attach to my early 2011 MacBook Pro.

The question I have is this:
    Can I fit 1TB 3.5in 10kRPM VelociRaptors in a Pegasus array? Or do the mongo-heat sinks prevent them from fitting? I've never actually been able to get my hands on a Pegasus array so I'm not sure if it would physically fit inside the bay. I assume they would, but I'm not going to spend all that dough and find out that nothing fits, so I thought I'd ask.

If anyone has any other ideas about my workflow (other than feeling a need to yell at me about using external arrays with a MacBook) let me know.

Thanks,
    C.

2. Giuly, Mar 16, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2014

macrumors 68040

Giuly

The Pegasus R4/R6 have a SAS controller (which is compatible to SATA), so you might as well use enterprise-grade 15000RPM Seagate Cheetah SAS drives. But technically, the heat sink of the VelociRaptor should have the same dimensions as regular 3.5" drives.

3. macrumors 6502a

reebzor

I can confirm this. I use Velociraptors in hot swap trays and they line up correctly.