Venezuela Plan to Buy MIGS Irks U.S.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by IJ Reilly, Dec 1, 2004.

1. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

It's nice to see the Bushistas haven't lost their delicate touch.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-fg-migs1dec01,1,3826698.story

I especially liked that last line. As if the US has any influence in Venezuela anymore, or can speak about spending millions "for ill-defined purposes" without everyone doubling over in laughter.

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i wonder who made the "shooting down MIGs" remark. and that McCormack response is pretty hilarious.

how does one figuratively shoot down a MIG?

3. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Maybe he meant "virtually," as in, "virtually not at all."

4. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

How does a US Administration which connived in an attempted coup d'êtat have the damned gall to question their intended victim's choices of arms supplier?

5. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

No really, it's cool if the Israelis buy tons of weapons from us, but not if someone like Venezuela wants to buy weapons from Russia. Pot, meet kettle.

The US companies are probably just pissed that they aren't getting any of the money.

6. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

How secure would Chavez feel about getting spares and technical help from the US without some massive and suicidal climbdown?

7. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

8. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

If he had any sense, he would be. A tall one.

9. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Russia desperately needs to line up more countries like this. They've fallen dramatically since the end of the cold war as an arms supplier, which has led to a drastic cut of their arms R&D budget. The way things are going, they won't be a major factor in the military arms trade in a few decades.

10. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Not saying that your point isn't correct, but didn't they just come out with a new shield-dodging super nuke? Seems that their R&D has been just fine.

11. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

from what i hear of the anti-missile "shield", i'd bet my VW could dodge it.

12. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

You know what I meant. Of course anything could dodge it, since it is imaginary and based on wishful-thinking. Gee, I think I see a trend here...reminds me of being a kid on the playground and yelling "force-field, force-field", at those times I didn't want to be hit...

13. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

to be fair, i was thinking of the 2 of 3 failed field tests, where the interceptor warheads were given slow-moving targets on known trajectories...

14. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

My understanding is that Russia's declining weapons R&D has taken them away from conventional weapons research (engineering really), which is broad-based and expensive, to pursue a more limited set of really nasty weapons. I don't have the numbers in front of me any more (I'll find 'em), but I think Russian weapons R&D is (in dollar terms) behind France, China, England... and perhaps a few others. I don't quite remember. It would stand to reason that without developing new weapons, Russia will no longer be competitive in the long run.

As for today, Russia's only way, for instance, to maintain any 'deterrent' against the U.S. is nukes. They can't compete with our conventional forces with their conventional forces. Since a U.S. missile shield could only be used against Russia (or, to a lesser extend China) at present and in the near future, and because Russia can only compete with nukes, they had to develop a counter-measure to our plans.

15. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

So far as this particular MiG goes, only if a Serb or an Iraqi are at the controls.