Venting thread about personal info theft

Discussion in 'Community' started by bluebomberman, Sep 25, 2005.

1. bluebomberman macrumors 6502a

bluebomberman

So I just found out from my (public sector) employer that our crappy computers were breached and all our Social Security numbers were exposed. I'm unable to read the PDF memo (damn cross-platform incompatibilities, I bet), but supposedly I have to file a report with the three credit agencies (one of which have been breached in the past, no?).

Great. That ruins my weekend. Any fellow sufferers? Advice? Smirks from people who think that America is ass-backwards more often than not? I'm ears.

2. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...when that big credit agency had the massive leak a few months ago my Mastercard was apparently on the list of possibly affected numbers. They sent me a letter and issued a new card with a new number of course....there never was any activity on the card that was not mine but they (nor I) was going to take any chances...oh yeah!

3. bluebomberman thread starter macrumors 6502a

bluebomberman

That's a little different, though...your credit card number was exposed, but what about your SS#?

With my SS# exposed, theoretically, the thief can make a whole bunch of credit applications and then go on a shopping spree. So a new credit card # doesn't help me too much...

4. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

Which is exactly why we shouldn't be so reliant on SS#s. There's actually a small (read: not seen in the news a lot) movement to stop using it EVERYWHERE because it makes it so easy to steal identities...

5. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Very sorry to hear about you situation. Sadly we are all vulnerable. Supposedly being member of Equifax Credit Watch would help to monitor any action under you name. Good luck, keep us informed.

6. bluebomberman thread starter macrumors 6502a

bluebomberman

So the news here is that the entire payroll, including social security info, for all current and former employees was avilable on Google.

They finally removed it from Google after a couple of days, but someone screwed up big time. I'm not sure about this, but since I have direct deposit, I will likely have to change bank account numbers. More worrisome are the social security numbers that may or may not be circulating around on the Internet.

In the meanwhile, they're telling me to go to this link:www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/alerts/infocompairt.htm
    I'll have to check it out when I get home.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that at least one of the credit agencies has been breached in the past, so I'm not 100% confident either way that there's much that can be done that will make me feel better besides whacking the moron in the jaw who allowed this info to be freely accessed on a non-secure web site.