Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 19, 2003
so, i spent years as a windows admin, changed to linux, then to Macs. i had forgotten what it is like.....

the whole family got together and bought dad an ipod for fathers day. he drives about 50% of his work week and has no CD player in his car, so it seemed like a good idea.

...then i went to install it. i guess the whole "plug it in and it works no matter what it is" thing has spoiled me. first, we had to upgrade his computer from win98, cause itunes needs 2000 or better. i knew that, was counting on it. wasn't too bad, though it took longer than it took me to upgrade my ibook if i added all the upgrades together. :rolleyes:

then we patch it. SP1, install, reboot, bluescreen stop, repair, reboot, install SP2, reboot, bluescreen, repair, reboot, BS, repair MBR, reboot, install SP3, rinse wash repeat OMG WTF is wrong with people for even using this POS fricking OS from hel..... argh!

13 hours later, myself, a former admin, and my brother, a current admin, manage to get everything installed, running, up happy and better than ever. 13 hours for people who know what they are doing. what do "normal people" do?

oh yeah, they just buy a new machine every time they need even a single part upgraded. "i don't want a Mac, they are harder to upgrade." :rolleyes:

i had forgotten how bad the windows world is. i am taking all my Macs out to dinner to show them how much i appreci.... ok not really, but man do i feel a renewed joy in my computers!

never been so happy as after that "upgrade" and considering what vista sound like. wow am i glad i got out of the winders world.

sorry, just had to vent somewhere! :D

igucl

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2003
Yeah, about once a year my friend's parents' computer needs to be overhauled with a clean install. I always walk away from that experience in awe of what people put up with from Microsoft.

shen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 19, 2003
lol! yeah, i think he likes it, but i will wait to say for sure till he returns from his work trip this week.

got him a 4 gig nano, he loaded a gig of oldies rock and 4 audio books and climbed in the car to hit the road. we will see how it goes!

i am STILL amazed that *I* put up with windows just for that one upgrade. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.