Verax fan kits- are they worth it??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by maresia, May 4, 2005.

1. maresia macrumors newbie

I've got a very noisy dual G4 (you know the infamous mirrored doors) that just seems to be getting louder recently. I somehow didn't hear about the power supply replacement scheme a couple of years ago so have the original included in early shipments of the G4.

Now the big question is - Do I buy a new power supply or the Verax fan kit (found at http://www.pcsilent.de/en_group_quiet_apple_g4.asp) to try to shut my beast up!?

Anyone out there who can let me know if any significant difference was made by either option... or both.

cheers

2. beatle888 macrumors 68000

beatle888

and what about replacing the fan in Tibook 667? any suggestions on where to purchase parts and install guides?

3. Church macrumors regular

Church

I saw an article/how to a while ago and they swapped out the fans in a MDD. It looked pretty cool and they said it was pretty quiet now. they also added some cold cathode ray tubes to the front, so it looked sic. I'll look for the link for ya when i get home from school....

4. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I bought both kits (M10 + M11) for my dual 1.42. In total, it contained about 5 or 6 fans and a new heatsink with an integral fan-hood which blasts the air straight out of the case. Putting the whole lot in took about 3 hours of careful and deliberate work... every fan is replaced except the small one in the side-door next to the optical drives

Bearing in mind that this model didn't supposedly need the power-supply change, the difference was astonishing and well worth every penny.

That's not to say it's completely silent but it's now a low rush of air and I can now hear the occasional high-pitched tones from the hard-drives.

I would advise getting both kits (M10 for dual or M10S for single processors & the M11). This tackles the entire problem which just replacing the power-supply fans doesn't. The big fan in the bottom of the case is also one of the culprits...

I first read about the kits here.
    http://www.g4noise.com

Seriously, you will not regret it.

5. beatle888 macrumors 68000

beatle888

Blue Velvet....looks at dispensor and resists....

6. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Say what? :confused:

7. Platform macrumors 68030

Platform

8. beatle888 macrumors 68000

beatle888

that was in reference to the movie Blue Velvet by oliver stone. :)

9. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Errr... Blue Velvet was directed by David Lynch, a still of which is my 'tar.

Sorry for OT.