Verify disk permissions vs. Repair disk permissins

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by tech4all, Nov 5, 2004.

1. macrumors 68040

tech4all

When you go to disk utilities what's the difference between 'Verify Disk Permissions' and 'Repair Disk Permissions'? Like when you want to repair permissions? Do you have to do one first?

And which disk to I click on in Disk Utilities? One has the name of the hard drive, the brand of it, and I think the model number of it. And the other one says 'Macintosh HD'. Which one is the one to repair permissions from? I just did the first disk icon listed and did Verify Disk Permissions, and lastly Repair Disk Permissions and everything still works :D so I guess I did something right, but I'm wondering if I should do it for 'Macintosh HD' as well....

Thanks for any info :)

2. Administrator

HexMonkey

Staff Member

Verify disk permissions checks to see what problems there are, and repair disk permissions actually fixes them. They take about the same amount of time to do, so verifying first effectively doubles the total time. I can't imagine why you'd not want to fix permission problems, so there's probably no use in verifying first.

As for which disk, it doesn't matter if you only have one partition. Repairing permissions for the one with the brand, model etc does so for all its partitions, but in your case you only have one (Macintosh HD), so the same thing will happen regardless of which you choose.

3. macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

-Dad told you to check wether there is garbage to be thrown

-Dad told you to throw the garbage (You can check first but you can do it all at once)

It's a matter of choice. ;)

4. macrumors 68020

Chappers

I just repair.... but this has been asked before.

5. macrumors P6

wdlove

6. thread starter macrumors 68040

tech4all