verifying CTO powerbook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by towelette, Jul 17, 2004.

1. towelette macrumors newbie

dear all!
    i desperately need some advice. i just received my new 1.5G 15" powerbook yesterday. the thing is, i am quite skeptical of my apple store. I have upgraded my powerbook to a 1X512 ram and 5400RPM hard drive, and also a 128mb graphics card. I insisted on checking the powerbook they sent to me, only to realised that they haven't upgraded my ram from 2x256 to a 1x512 one. i went back to the apple store and got that replaced. Now the thing is, how do i check if my ATA harddrive is upgraded to a 5400 RPM one? and how do i check my graphics card is a 128 instead of a 64 one? the saleman at the store said theres no way i can check that the ATA harddrive is upgraded. is that true? I am losing faith in my apple store and i REALLY need so valuable advice! HELP!

2. Finiksa macrumors 6502a

Finiksa

You need to use System Profiler to check your hardware components.

Apple Menu -> About This Mac -> More Info…

It should say how much VRAM your video card has but the hard drive is a a little more difficult to figure out, you'll have to take the model number of the drive and google for the specifications or search the manufacturers website, it'll list the rotational speed.

3. towelette thread starter macrumors newbie

:)
    thankd dude for the prompt reply. managed to track down the hard drive specs on google, and thank goodness it is 5400RPM. but i can't seem to find the info through the "about this computer -> more info" section. i just cant seem to find it among all these information. can you be more specific as where it is? thank you so much...

4. Finiksa macrumors 6502a

Finiksa

OK I assume since you found the drive serial number you managed to open System Profiler, if not it's in the utilities folder inside the applications folder.

In the list on the left in System Profiler called "Contents" click on the item called "PCI/AGP Cards" in the window on the upper right your video card will be listed, should be the only one since notebooks don't have PCI slots.

In the window below that the details of the video card should be listed. What you're looking for is an entry stating "VRAM (Total): 128 MB" or "VRAM (Total): 64 MB" if they gave you the wrong logic board.

This is what it looks like on my iBook.

Attached Files:

5. crypt macrumors newbie

i'm a newbie after the bootstrap how can i show the profile section.
    I hope the BTO will arrive this week.
    The man at the apple reseller said 2 weeks on July the 9th, i live in Italy and it is a long long wait and so I'm collecting info.