Verison - and OS X - Cell Phone????

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by iriejedi, Jun 22, 2006.

1. iriejedi macrumors 6502a

iriejedi

I am thinking of getting Verizion they have limited phones but are any phones capable of synching with address bood or Ical etc....

just curious in the event I need a tie breaker feature.

Thank you

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

3. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Verizon has good service, from what I hear, but if you care about technology I would go with someone else. Verizon has limited phones because they use outdated technology.

4. discoforce macrumors 6502a

discoforce

Many of us have to go with Verizon :( due to coverage.

I got the Motorola e815 and have no problem syncing via bluetooth my contact info. I haven't tried calendar.

The most annoying thing for me is that Verizon does not allow bluetooth file exchange (OBEX, tranfering pictures, ringtones etc. from phone to computer), which the phone was capable of doing before they disabled it. Why? So you'll pay for VCast.

5. iriejedi thread starter macrumors 6502a

iriejedi

Thanks - I went with the New Samsung A930 - seemed to have good reviews and the price was good.

I realized that I "sort of" forgot to buy BT for my mac and I hear the adapters are horrible. So unless this phone (not on the Apples list...yet... hopefully) can use a USB cable... I guess I will have to be out of Sync! :)

My friends and Family were mostly on Verizon... so I went with group mentality. I like features of Sprints plans and Cingulars phones... but decided any thing that could give FREE minutes (IN Calling) was a big plus.

So after 3 years with no phone (and loving every minute of it!) - I'm back on the grid... well I will be in 2 to 5 business days!

Thanks for the coments!

IJ

6. Egosphere macrumors member

I'm unsure as to the schedule for your purchase, but the 10.4.7 update will have many more phones supported in iSync. As far as I know, which phones will be supported hasn't been publicized. So, either find out somehow which phones will be supported or wait for 10.4.7. Or, just get a phone that is currently supported by iSync.

7. A is jump macrumors regular

A is jump

Verizon sucks in terms of syncing with Macs. I got a RAZR and Verizon prevents you from being able to use bluetooth to transfer photos. I think you can sync it with Address book though.
    but if you wanted the ability to do real syncing... you have to buy verizons software package... which is Convieniently PC only.
    I was Furious when I found this out. I'd say go cingular if their service in your area is good.

8. Caitlyn macrumors 6502a

Very true, however, I use Verizon and you get great service in a lot of areas. Although, the RAZR is available for Verizon now so that's a nice option. :D

9. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Are you saying their phones are outdated or their service?

10. A is jump macrumors regular

A is jump

Amen. Verizon is a bunch of Crooks. I have the same problem as you. I got my phone specifically because I knew that my computer would work perfect with it... but little did I know that although my friends phone that I had been syncing with was the same phone, Cingular doesnt disable the functionality.

GRRR!!!

11. A is jump macrumors regular

A is jump

except you cant transfer files via bluetooth, or USB (on a mac anyway).

12. szark macrumors 68030

szark

Completely incorrect. Verizon's technology (CDMA) is the newer technology, and is less widespread because it is more expensive to implement. Everyone else uses GSM, which is the older, more backwards-compatible technology.

I am also a Verizon user, who wishes that they actually allowed me to use all the capabilities of my phone. :mad:

13. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Verizon also claims that for every 7 GMS towers built, they only need to built one CDMA tower to cover the same area.

14. celebrian23 macrumors 65816

celebrian23

I use verizon because it has hands down some of the best signals. :)

15. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

I stand corrected. Verizon's network is more advanced, however their phones are still not. If you want a company that gives you really advanced network features check into Amp'd Wireless

16. szark macrumors 68030

szark

Don't remind me. I'd kill to have some of the phones that are available on the other networks, but right now I'm stuck with Verizon. :(