Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Verizon-Wireless-LTE.jpg
Both Verizon Wireless and AT&T have announced new and expanded areas for LTE coverage in the U.S. LTE is the high speed wireless data networking standard that comes with the iPhone 5 and represents a substantial boost in speed over 3G.

Cult of Mac and iMore have consolidated the list of locations from the network press releases:

Click here to read rest of article...

Article Link: Verizon and AT&T Expand LTE Coverage in Many Regions Ahead of iPhone 5 Launch

Last edited:

User3977

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2010
Is this like the AT&T 4g lies. I have the 4s and wife has the 4. We both run a speed test and get same results but mine shows 4g hers shows 3g

Emmanuelc

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2008
Is this like the AT&T 4g lies. I have the 4s and wife has the 4. We both run a speed test and get same results but mine shows 4g hers shows 3g

I'm guessing she didn't update her software and that's why hers still says "3G". With the 5. Whatever update it was they said that 3G was fast enough to be displayed as 4G but true 4G is LTE.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
I'm guessing she didn't update her software and that's why hers still says "3G". With the 5. Whatever update it was they said that 3G was fast enough to be displayed as 4G but true 4G is LTE.
The iPhone 4 never receive the faux 4G treatment, so it's always 3G.

JoeHemi

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2010
Seattle, Wa
They should have announced the list BEFORE the iPhone 5 preorder release. Especially since so many people jumped ship to Verizon because of AT&Ts lack of LTE in those markets.

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
Verizon is so good, it is expanding coverage in Lincoln, Nebraska twice in one day. :)

TheBuffather

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2009
Orlando, FL
They should have announced the list BEFORE the iPhone 5 preorder release. Especially since so many people jumped ship to Verizon because of AT&Ts lack of LTE in those markets.

Verizon's LTE locations are still far superior to AT&T's, even with the few additional cities AT&T added. It wouldn't have helped much.

iPadPublisher

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2010

Seattle and Sacramento, with Portland as a secondary are why I left AT&T this round. Plus their LTE in Las Vegas is very sketchy. Had they published this list I would have considered staying. Can't say I would have for sure, but they're idiots for posting this now...

jtwurth

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2011
AT&T's LTE list is pathetic.

No doubt. The only thing that kept me with AT&T this time around was the penalty fee on early contract termination. Their expansion and coverage in Cincinnati has been pathetic. No LTE and for years anytime you went downtown 3g coverage was maxed so your phone had a great signal but was nothing more than a paper weight.

They've only JUST expanded towers enough to fix that issue. I'm hanging onto my 4S for one more year and then jumping ship to Verizon.

Steve.P.JobsFan

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2010
Columbus
Hey Verizon! Here's a grand idea!

Why not plop another LTE tower down in Bowling Green, Ohio? You say we are an LTE city, and we are. But, 1-2 bars of coverage in most of Bowling Green, with just above average 3G speeds is NOT 4G LTE. Let's say all those darn BGSU kiddies were sucking up my LTE, fine. That'd reduce my speeds, not coverage. Heck, most of the time I'm in Bowling Green, I don't see any phone switch over to LTE unless your within >3miles of the tower.

LTE service is a gimmick here. I've yet to try LTE in Findlay, Ohio (Also an LTE city, 20 miles south, just moved back there), but I'm expecting it to be the same.

Nor*Cal

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2007
Irvine, CA
Just letting you know that your locations may likely already have LTE. The AT&T rep told me that my location and many others are in an unofficial beta and haven't officially been announced yet.

aristokrat

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2007

LTE isn't any more "true" 4G than any other respec'ed wireless standard. It may evolve into it (thus "long term evolution"), but 4G was supposed to be a stable 100 Mb/s mobile and 1 Gb/s stationary with both voice and data over the same connection. If we're going to down spec that standard to fit a lesser definition, who's to say when we stop.

Regardless, it would behoove us all if we stopped buying into some meaningless G number and instead demanded speed claims, which we could then take the carriers to task for when we didn't get what was advertised.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.