Verizon block all e-mail from Europe

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by garybUK, Jan 17, 2005.

1. garybUK Guest

garybUK

2. Zaty macrumors 65816

So did I. So again it's the good US against bad Europe :D

3. MOFS macrumors 65816

MOFS

Not the first time something like this has happenned. European users couldn't access the George W Bush website during the elections.

4. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

It would seem that there would be a way to allow a message between private individuals. Verizon asking it's customers to seek alternate methods just doesn't work.

5. snkTab macrumors 6502a

snkTab

6. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Actually, following the passing of the CAN SPAM legislation at the Federal level and similar legislations at the state level, spammers are dying out VERY quickly here in the US. They're being sued left-and-right, and not one of them has been found innocent yet... they're in the hole for well over a billion dollars of damages so far. That's why they're all moving offshore... a lot of them to Europe, where US law doesn't reach.

But yeah, it does seem that Verizon is perhaps painting with too wide a brush.

7. Zaty macrumors 65816

European countries are about to or already have introduced anti-spam legislation. Western Europe for sure isn't a safe haven for spammers.

8. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Then there you go. The big question then becomes, what about Asia? Africa? Russia? (Which is big enough to be considered separately from Europe or Asia.) Australia?

I always thought that the solution to spam would be technological... perhaps a small amount of "postage" on each e-mail (1¢ or so) would be required for a message to pass through the Internet. But it looks like the lawmakers will be able to stomp it out using the law... and any country that doesn't go after spammers will find all of their outgoing mail blocked by the countries that do.

9. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Russian and some Eastern Europe countries I guess I could understand them putting extra filters on those IP addresses.

The EU countries with all their data protection mail opt-ins etc just doesn't make sense

10. Zaty macrumors 65816

Yes but if other ISPs follow suit and block all e-mails originating from a whole continent, the worldwide e-mail system will be useless.

11. Zaty macrumors 65816

Well, I strongly believe it does make sense. However, a legal solution in only a few countries won't be enough. I guess we need technical as well as legal solutions.

12. takao macrumors 68040

takao

perhaps simply stopping to buy stuff from spammers would be a nice idea...so far 95-99% of all the spam i get is still english speaking or about stuff in the US...even with my pretty clear .at top-level-domain

13. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

10% of mine is Korean and probably 5% is written in the Cyrillic Alphabet. Go figure...

14. ipodmann macrumors member

Interesting. I know that earthlink has blocked dozens of emails from the East Block and a few possibly from Germany.

I am curious to know if Verizon customers are now getting less spam.

15. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

Seeing as my spam consists of:

1) Offers for pharmaceuticals - in English, priced in US dollars
    2) Offers for dodgy qualifications - in English, priced in US dollars
    3) Pictures from American websites featuring girls inserting various large objects.
    4) Offers for dodgy quack remedies promising me a large(r) object of my own

I'm guessing most of mine originates in the US ( the spam 'league tables' suggest that most spam is still from the US )

16. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

We must not be reading the same news ^_^

The CAN-SPAM Act, One Year Later

One Year After Law, Spam Still Out of the Can

CAN-SPAM Can't Slam Spam

CAN-SPAM Taking Effect?

Survey says CAN-SPAM's first year was ineffective

CAN-SPAM Has Not Canned Much, Report Says

CAN-SPAM law - who cares about it?

All these are from 2005 and the list goes on. I couldn't find a single positive review for the Can Spam act. Maybe it simply needs more time to fight spam. Maybe it needs to be reworked. I'm not saying that this law doesn'T make sense, on the contrary. I'm simply stating that we're not making progress yet in the fight against spam, we're losing ground.