Verizon Claims Network Ready for iPhone Should Apple Choose to Strike Deal

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 18, 2009.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

A BusinessWeek report from last night has received significant attention today for its focus on Verizon's claimed readiness should the company and Apple strike a deal to bring the iPhone to the largest U.S. wireless carrier next year.
    Verizon has been seen by many customers disgruntled with AT&T's network performance as a likely partner for Apple once the iPhone maker's exclusivity agreement with AT&T expires.

The report notes that the iPhone has placed tremendous stress on AT&T's network, causing data traffic to explode by 5,000% over the past few years. Consequently, many have wondered whether any other U.S. mobile provider would have been able to meet the iPhone demand had they been able to offer the device. The BusinessWeek report points to a vague comment from Melone stating that Verizon has similarly seen growth of 1,000% per year, although recent comments from Verizon CEO Ivan Seidenberg have pegged the growth at substantially closer to 100% per year. Still, Verizon remains confident that it will be able to provide a quality customer experience for iPhone users should the opportunity arise.

Article Link: Verizon Claims Network Ready for iPhone Should Apple Choose to Strike Deal

2. macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

What do you expect them to say?

"No, our network would totally fold under the pressure if we ever got an iPhone."

I'll believe it if/when I see it.

3. macrumors 6502

the-oz-man

What is this upgraded network that you speak of . . . ? Being an AT&T customer, I'm unfamiliar with this term.

4. macrumors 6502a

5. macrumors 68020

Xavier

Agreed.

I would love to see the iPhone come to Verizon, but like stated above, will believe it when I see it.

6. macrumors 68040

velocityg4

I wonder what they mean by being able to handle the extra traffic?

To me that would mean being able to handle every current and projected iPhone customer being able to use maximum upload/download simultaneously. :D

7. macrumors 65816

gan6660

AT&T has a terrible network. Apple and Verizon would have both made tremendous amounts of money if they just tried harder to make a deal with each other in 2007.

8. macrumors 68000

adder7712

9. macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I could see that...

10. macrumors 68020

Xavier

Well, if they would have, we probably wouldn't have seen an iPhone that is as 'open' as it is today. The App store would definitely be different.

11. macrumors 68040

Grimace

Actually, AT&T's network isn't so bad (in terms of its infrastructure). It is gotten slammed by iPhone users more so than AT&T and Apple ever imagined. Projections were made for 3 years of exclusivity -- how could either have known that data would explode so much? The reality is that it is overburdened, but it isn't because it is shoddy.

Any carrier would have been slammed, and now Verizon looks like they want to say, "hey holiday customers, don't buy just yet..." ;)

12. macrumors 68000

darthraige

The end of AT&T is coming soon, and will be merging once again, only this time, with Verizon. I can see a merge happening in the future.

13. macrumors newbie

I kind of thought Apple was already making a tremendous amount of money on the iPhone.

14. macrumors member

Of course its a jab at AT&T. I've had AT&T and I'm back with Verizon. AT&T works fine in my home town but I travel a lot and Verizon works more places. Especially when I'm outside whatever city I'm in or on small highways.

Verizon has its problems and I miss my iPhone (I have the Moto Droid now) but in the end coverage is king. I need my email and my calls and I need them everywhere.

Verizon may very well have the capacity. Non-Euro standard Verizon may be but my understanding of CDMA is that the digital spread spectrum allows more users per tower than GSM.

15. macrumors 604

ravenvii

I might be wrong (and god knows it'll probably happen anyway), but I doubt that the federal government would approve the merger of the largest cell phone company with the second largest (and it's not like the largest has 80% of the market while the second largest has 12% of the market, either).

16. macrumors regular

Funny one Verizon guy says 100% growth in data per year the other says 1000%. They need to get their story straight.

17. macrumors 65816

gan6660

I dont see that happening. That would created too much of a monopoly and the FCC would not go for that. Now AT&t and Sprint I can see.

Also the AT&T network was terrible even before the iPhone.

18. macrumors 65816

Are you crazy? Do you remember the last time a a carrier with 2 TOTALLY different network infrastructures merged and how it went.. mhm.. sprint/nextel. Now sprint is trying to sell them off! This won't happen. The FCC would never allow it.

19. macrumors newbie

It's ubiquitous that the iPhone will appear on Verizon; especially with this post. Things are looking up.

20. macrumors 6502a

Jayomat

why is that? please elaborate?

21. macrumors 6502

Could never use a phone that wouldn't allow me to use data + voice at the same time. Sure hope VZN is talking about their LTE infrastructure, not the existing CDMA kit.

22. macrumors member

2strokedude

True

23. macrumors 65816

gan6660

They are but verizon has many more customers than AT&T and more people would have probably switched from other networks.

24. macrumors 68020

25. macrumors G5

jav6454