Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

McCool71

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2012
I guessing that the people that are somehow still using the Note 7 are die-hard Samsung fanboys, or people that, somehow, still haven't heard the news.
The thing is that it is an excellent device, quite possibly still the best cell phone ever released.

Some users will find it hard to let go until a good alternative arrives, everything you can switch to today will be a step backwards if you appreciate things like the pen.

I probably wouldn't return it myself if I had been able to get one. Unfortunately (or maybe not...) it was not launched in my country before it was recalled.

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
Given the number of such serious incidents and the number of sold items (I believe, just a couple, in millions of devices sold), it's mathematically extremely unlikely to burn down your house/car/work. If you look at the incidents themselves, most just burned a contour in the carpet or night stand, not anything as dramatic as cars or buildings.

The most likely explanation is that these remaining Note 7 customers see their devices working just fine, they probably fly very rarely, they believe there's a very low chance the remaining phones will develop battery overheating issues (likely true), and probably like their Note 7 very, very much, since they've proven immune to all attempts to change or refund.

I'm not saying I approve, if I had a Note 7 myself I'd have demanded a refund, but there's an explanation and it's not idiocy.
I suspect the folks who had devices explode also "saw their devices working just fine" just before they blew up. SMH
[doublepost=1484755504][/doublepost]
LoL so you take it upon yourself to tell other people what they should be doing with their lives? That's not your job and if you said anything like that to me I'd surly have your job or at least ensure you're disciplined by your employer....If you work retail just sell what you need to sell and shut up about customers personal lives.
Or perhaps informing them that they have a defect. They may not be aware.

It most certainly is still my property. They sold it to me, I paid for it. They have zero right to ask for it back. And sending an update to kill it is deliberate destruction of property which they do not own or have a right to destroy.

If people had the right to recall property, can a new and struggling artist sell you a painting for $100. Then 30 years later when he's internationally renowned and his paintings are worth millions, he can "recall" his earlier works by issuing a refund of your original $100? Once a sale is complete, the seller can't reverse it without the consent of the buyer.
Not sure they are "destroying it" by removing it from their network (certainly they can say we won't allow its use on our network). So sure you can keep it and play solitaire on it if you wish. Just don't do it in public or on a plane if you don't mind. Thanks

symphara

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2013
I suspect the folks who had devices explode also "saw their devices working just fine" just before they blew up.
I'm not sure if any of them actually "blew up". I haven't seen any evidence of this. It seems to be macrumors hyperbole. I've seen iPhones overheating in the same pattern - just fewer of them. I assume you have an iPhone, given your argumentation - do you also feel threatened by it? No? What are the odds at which you do feel threatened?

It could be that most Note 7 devices that were flawed (which was a very small proportion to begin with) have already produced the fault, and the ones remaining in use are unlikely to overheat.

Cancelled
Aug 14, 2010
I don't think the damage to Samsung has been done because they made mistake, everyone makes mistakes (remember the iPhone 4 antenna problem) i think it's because Samsung recalled those devices, and sent out a second batch that was suppose to have been fixed, clearly they wasn't and it resulted in more issues and more damage to the brand name.

I don't agree that the antenna problem in the iPhone 4 is even in the same stratosphere as Samsung's exploding battery problem. One was a design flaw that inconvenienced people from holding it a certain way, the other was a defective and dangerous battery issue that occurred twice. It was and is a safety issue. Never in my life have I seen a major product in technology recalled the way the Note 7 has.

Not you specifically, but I find it astounding that people are defending a phone that is potentially dangerous. It was recalled for a reason.

Zorrillo

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2017
Samsung certainly makes excellent mobile phones, this is proof. Instead of using a rehashed burnt mobile image as a representation on the article, try posting an image of a Galaxy Note 7 functionally being use currently...bad idea? Is the burnt mobile in the image suppose to be some kind of psy-ops? LOL!

Though Samsung's Galaxy Note 7 has been discontinued for several months because of battery issues, there are still "thousands" of Verizon customers who are continuing to use the devices against the company's advice.

To put a stop to the rogue Note 7 users, Verizon tells Fortune that it's prepared to take more extreme steps to disable the devices. Verizon has already issued a carrier update that stops the Galaxy Note 7 from working, but some customers have been able to avoid installing it.

Screen-Shot-2-800x530.jpg

Verizon plans to make it so calls placed on remaining Galaxy Note 7 devices will only connect to the company's customer service representatives, with the exception of 911 calls. Verizon is also considering charging customers who continue to use the Note 7 for the full retail price of the device, as it has sent out refunds.Verizon customers who return a Note 7 device to the company continue to be eligible for a $100 bill credit and no upgrade fee as an incentive to choose a new smartphone.

Samsung has not officially announced the results of an internal investigation it conducted on the Galaxy Note 7, but company sources yesterday told Reuters that Samsung has concluded the battery was the reason behind the fires. Samsung was able to replicate the fires during its investigation, though the cause was not able to be explained by hardware design or software.

Samsung's official results will be shared on January 23, and the company is also expected to share details on measures it will take to prevent similar battery issues in the future.

Article Link: Verizon Cracking Down on Customers Still Using Faulty Galaxy Note 7 Devices

Attachments

• maxresdefault.jpg
    maxresdefault.jpg
    237.9 KB · Views: 79

emayteeteex

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2014
VZW needs to take every line that is using this device, and cut their service. This isn't an option anymore.

Though Samsung's Galaxy Note 7 has been discontinued for several months because of battery issues, there are still "thousands" of Verizon customers who are continuing to use the devices against the company's advice.

To put a stop to the rogue Note 7 users, Verizon tells Fortune that it's prepared to take more extreme steps to disable the devices. Verizon has already issued a carrier update that stops the Galaxy Note 7 from working, but some customers have been able to avoid installing it.

Screen-Shot-2-800x530.jpg

Verizon plans to make it so calls placed on remaining Galaxy Note 7 devices will only connect to the company's customer service representatives, with the exception of 911 calls. Verizon is also considering charging customers who continue to use the Note 7 for the full retail price of the device, as it has sent out refunds.Verizon customers who return a Note 7 device to the company continue to be eligible for a $100 bill credit and no upgrade fee as an incentive to choose a new smartphone.

Samsung has not officially announced the results of an internal investigation it conducted on the Galaxy Note 7, but company sources yesterday told Reuters that Samsung has concluded the battery was the reason behind the fires. Samsung was able to replicate the fires during its investigation, though the cause was not able to be explained by hardware design or software.

Samsung's official results will be shared on January 23, and the company is also expected to share details on measures it will take to prevent similar battery issues in the future.

Article Link: Verizon Cracking Down on Customers Still Using Faulty Galaxy Note 7 Devices

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
I'm not sure if any of them actually "blew up". I haven't seen any evidence of this. It seems to be macrumors hyperbole. I've seen iPhones overheating in the same pattern - just fewer of them. I assume you have an iPhone, given your argumentation - do you also feel threatened by it? No? What are the odds at which you do feel threatened?

It could be that most Note 7 devices that were flawed (which was a very small proportion to begin with) have already produced the fault, and the ones remaining in use are unlikely to overheat.
Um ok choose whatever words you want, melted, caught fire, etc, and take a look at some of the photos available out there. Point being that those folks that had that happen also most likely deemed their device as working fine before that happened. Yes I do have iPhone and no I dont feel threatened but IF it were totally recalled, discontinued and scrapped by Apple due to an issue such as this then yeah I would certainly not assume I know more about it than the manufacture and would return it as requested. Especially if they offered a full refund AND a credit toward another device. Makes no since to not do that just because "you have the right to keep it" and choose to be bull headed about it.

And you say "unlikely" and "small portion", so you think Samsung would take billion $$ hits to their business and all the bad PR just because a couple had a problem? Rather than saying "Oh there were only a couple and we have given those users new devices" (which they tried 1st btw) and keep selling the un-flawed device raking in the $$$$ it was generating. Wow.

DevNull0

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2015
Not sure they are "destroying it" by removing it from their network (certainly they can say we won't allow its use on our network). So sure you can keep it and play solitaire on it if you wish. Just don't do it in public or on a plane if you don't mind. Thanks

The earlier part of the discussion was a combination of Verizon disconnecting the phone and Samsung killing it, so by the post you replied to, i was combining both things.

I suppose technically, it's up to the carriers to send the updates with android, so you can say it was Verizon as long as ever other major carrier who did kill the phones last month.

McCool71

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2012
Point being that those folks that had that happen also most likely deemed their device as working fine before that happened.

Well, one could argue that if the problems are because of faults in certain key elements in the phone then it would manifest itself quickly in those 1/40.000 or so prone to it, and thus leaving devices that have been working flawlessly for months as safe.

DevNull0

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2015
Unless it's a mandatory recall on safety grounds. Then they do have the right to demand it back. I don't know whether Samsung issued a mandatory recall though in this case.

You know. It's amazing how often people make up definitions in their heads and pretend they're real.

A mandatory recall is one where the government forced the company to do the recall. A voluntary recall is one where the company did it on their own without being ordered to.

In both cases, there is no legal obligation on the customer.

JoeyEatWorld

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2015
Iowa City, IA, USA
I returned my Note 7 like most people who bought the phone. And I was angry at Samsung for this whole ordeal, like most customers were. And I'm certainly no conspiracy theorist by any stretch of the imagination. But why, if the phone is so dangerous, has there not been any further Note 7 fires after the 2nd recall was announced a few months ago?

It really makes you wonder.

DevNull0

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2015
Why would someone continue to use a device that's likely to burn down your house/car/work? Imagine someone gets killed, you get charged with negligent homicide?

Be honest, you buy lottery tickets and you're genuinely surprised when you don't win, right?

Less than 100 "incidents" in 4.5 million and 0 houses burned down and 0-1 cars burned, no injuries/deaths meets your definition of "likely". Wow. What do you call long odds?
[doublepost=1484765947][/doublepost]
I returned my Note 7 like most people who bought the phone. And I was angry at Samsung for this whole ordeal, like most customers were. And I'm certainly no conspiracy theorist by any stretch of the imagination. But why, if the phone is so dangerous, has there not been any further Note 7 fires after the 2nd recall was announced a few months ago?

It really makes you wonder.

I suspect the problem was very minor and unlikely and it got blown way out of proportion by social media and then the me too media. Samsung just chose the path or least resistance and quickly killed the phone to end the PR fiasco.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Never in my life have I seen a major product in technology recalled the way the Note 7 has.

Heh, some of us recall 2006, when poor Dell had to recall over 4 million laptop batteries made by Sony. At the time it was the largest battery recall ever.

Everyone and their brother watched videos of laptops bursting into flames on conference tables and at airports. It was a big topic at work. The scale of the recall was called "phenomenal". It was a PR mess.

--
That same year, Apple had to recall 1.8 million laptop batteries worldwide, for being a fire hazard and causing personal injuries and property damage. 1.1 million of those were in the US.

Interestingly, even though the Apple recall was as large in the US as that of the Note 7s sold here, PLUS the MacBook batteries contained more energy than a smartphone battery, and thus were more dangerous, the FAA was not pushed by the Transportation Secretary to ban Apple laptops.

However, some airlines, including Quantas, Virgin and Korean Air, banned both the Dell and Apple laptops from being used while in flight.

Last edited:
Reactions: 480951

AlphaGuitarist

macrumors 65816
Nov 12, 2014
I have heard that announcement so many times. On my flight last week the flight crew said "and for any of you proud owners of a Galaxy Note 7....."

It caught me off guard and I literally laughed out loud.

I heard the Note 7 announcements on a recent flight from JFK to Dublin and the return flight from Scotland.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
I don't agree that the antenna problem in the iPhone 4 is even in the same stratosphere as Samsung's exploding battery problem. One was a design flaw that inconvenienced people from holding it a certain way, the other was a defective and dangerous battery issue that occurred twice. It was and is a safety issue. Never in my life have I seen a major product in technology recalled the way the Note 7 has.

Not you specifically, but I find it astounding that people are defending a phone that is potentially dangerous. It was recalled for a reason.

I'm not defending the Note 7 at all, I'm an iPhone user and I don't even like Samsung or Andriod device, I was just saying that everyone makes mistakes. But yes I agree I think Samsung made a BIG mistake by releasing the Note 7, but they were trying to upstage the iPhone 7 and it backfired.

Reactions: 480951

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Heh, some of us recall 2006, when poor Dell had to recall over 4 million laptop batteries made by Sony. At the time it was the largest battery recall ever.

Everyone and their brother watched videos of laptops bursting into flames on conference tables and at airports. It was a big topic at work. The scale of the recall was called "phenomenal". It was a PR mess.

--
That same year, Apple had to recall 1.8 million laptop batteries worldwide, for being a fire hazard and causing personal injuries and property damage. 1.1 million of those were in the US.

Interestingly, even though the Apple recall was as large in the US as that of the Note 7s sold here, PLUS the MacBook batteries contained more energy than a smartphone battery, and thus were more dangerous, the FAA was not pushed by the Transportation Secretary to ban Apple laptops.

However, some airlines, including Quantas, Virgin and Korean Air, banned both the Dell and Apple laptops from being used while in flight.
I recall the dell fiasco and don't remember the apple fiasco. I don't think apple rushed to get the laptops to market as alleged that Samsung did, and maybe we are a bit smarter today as to steps that should have been taken. Can't go back and rewrite history though.

B4U

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2012
Undisclosed location
Unless it's a mandatory recall on safety grounds. Then they do have the right to demand it back. I don't know whether Samsung issued a mandatory recall though in this case.

Regardless of the legality it's irresponsible to use a Note 7 in public where you could put other people at risk.

I'm not aware of that particular recall but the difference here seems to me that I can make a conscious decision not to get into one of those vehicles. I can't make a conscious decision not to get on a plane that someone else has taken a Note 7 onto without my knowledge (unless I resfuse to get onto any plane).
All that I can say is, good luck finding out which vehicle does not have those airbags...

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
OK, I'm not a lawyer, but the theory stays the same.

It would help a bit, but the phones are still dangerous. And the scary thing is that this might be a situation where the battery failing is more like a "when" thing instead of an "maybe" thing. All it would take is if the weakness is something that gets worse over time. So these phones still in the wild might be getting more dangerous, instead of, as the users may thing, a phone that has passed the test and has a safe battery.

BeSweeet

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2009
San Antonio, TX
for what it's their property? That's absurd.

It's a potentially dangerous object that can hurt people... They are willingly risking other people's safety by continuing to use a device that has been recalled multiple times. Anyone using one should be in trouble. Simple.

That's irrelevant. It's *my* painting, and my choice to take the risk or not. The wishes of the original creator ended the moment the purchase and sale was complete.

It actually is relevant when you're dealing with objects that can spontaneously explode and cause damage to others. MINE MINE MINE! IT'S ALL MINE! That's no excuse for stupidity.

Last edited:

righteye

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2011
London
Sorry but I don't get why this is still relevant for Macrumors, there will be people using this phone until they die. They're idiots but why does it matter to us anymore.
Because if someone is unfortunate enough to be close to one of these devices when it catches fire they could end up being the victim, think hotel, tube train, Airplane and many other situations. They are obviously so selfish they don't give a toss about any one else.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.