Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

supermoon

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2014
California
that PDF is currently being "not found" for me, but I hope this includes Berkeley/the east Bay Area because I have been getting abysmal speeds - although I think it has something to do with the specific location of where I live, which is a dense neighborhood just south of the UC campus

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 72

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
My Verizon phone does just fine browsing the web and talking at the same time? Also has a GSM radio in it when I travel out of the country. What's the big deal?
Can't talk and browse at the same time using a Verizon iPhone when not on WiFi (and using regular cellular calling and not some VoIP/Skype type of calling).

----------

that PDF is currently being "not found" for me, but I hope this includes Berkeley/the east Bay Area because I have been getting abysmal speeds - although I think it has something to do with the specific location of where I live, which is a dense neighborhood just south of the UC campus
The whole Bay Area is on the list as I recall.

Val-kyrie

macrumors 68020
Feb 13, 2005
WOAH MY AREAS GOT IT?!?! Wow nice job Verizon. Now if I had a phone of Verizon that would do something for me :D. But Verizon actually something for us. That surprised me a lot. Anyway I think they should have this on a map so you could see exactly what area has it. City names are just one dot on a map. I want to see the whole area that has XLTE. Now Verizon let's get fios up on my street some time sooner then the 2020 plan you have going right now...

Don't hold your breath on Verizon FIOS. From what I have been told, the rollout of FIOS ceased with the installation of the current CEO. There are no timetables anymore for the expansion of FIOS.

CausticPuppy

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2012
I just tested my work phone vs personal phone....

Personal phone = iPhone 5S, Verizon LTE: 79Mbps down, 20Mbps up

Work phone = Samsung GS3, Sprint LTE: 1.91Mbps down, 0.08Mbps up

Both phones had a strong LTE signal (4/5 bars). And that is why I switched from Sprint to VZW when I upgraded my personal phone.

derek4484

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2010
AT&T is really getting left in the dust.

Not at all. Verizon is the one that's getting worked. That's why they have to go and open up LTE on additional frequency bands. When I first got VZW 4G LTE about 3 yrs ago (on a HTC Rezound), I could easily get 28M down/14M up. All day, any time. Now, I can't even get 2M down/1M up. It's that overcongested. It's absolutely ridiculous. When I had ATT 3G 4 yrs ago, I was getting double or even triple what I'm getting now with VZW 4G LTE on my iphone 5. Their 4G LTE is so bad that I dont even try to use cellular data anymore. If I'm out somewhere and I can't get wifi, I just give up. It's terrible. Unfortunately, I'm stuck with VZW, because it's a company issued phone and that's our corporate provider. Trust me, if I had a choice, it'd be AT&T all the way. It's getting so bad that I'm almost willing to give up the free service and pay for AT&T service on my own.

kmkjams

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2014
Chicago, IL
do we know any specific cities this was rolled out in? or can we assume they hit all the big boys (LA, SF, CHI, NY, etc)

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
I hope this includes Berkeley/the east Bay Area because I have been getting abysmal speeds
FWIW, this can be a multi-step project.

Verizon flipped on XLTE in my area a few months ago, however, they have not yet upgraded the bandwidth at the towers in this market, so the net result is that nothing is faster.

That was my personal observation, and also confirmed by a regional director that was assigned to call me back based on my results to a satisfaction survey they sent out to the business I work for.

When they flipped on XLTE, my LTE coverage at home (and the area around it) went from 1 bar to 4-5 bars, which was nice to see. Below is the Speedtest result from that new XLTE service. :/

Attachments

• IMG_9267.PNG
    IMG_9267.PNG
    824 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
Does anybody know is this will allow us IPhone users to talk and use internet at the same time?

Data and voice finally?

The VoLTE I thought would give this to verizon customers?

Can't talk and browse at the same time using a Verizon iPhone when not on WiFi (and using regular cellular calling and not some VoIP/Skype type of calling).

That really is a thorn in Verizon users' sides. I'm using a Verizon iPhone 5s with an AT&T SIM and I get simultaneous voice and data, but don't when I swap out for a Verizon SIM. Hopefully they address this with VoLTE.

SVTmaniac

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2013

I'm sorry, but that is incorrect. I just tested it on my LG G2. I turned WiFi completely off, called my other phone and then proceeded to browse the internet during the call on 4G. If you'd like I can take a video for you.

Edit: After doing some research, it appears that this is a limitation on the iPhone and not on the Verizon network. The newer phones on both Verizon and Sprint can do calls + data at the same time.

mac.cali

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2012
I'm sorry, but that is incorrect. I just tested it on my LG G2. I turned WiFi completely off, called my other phone and then proceeded to browse the internet during the call on 4G. If you'd like I can take a video for you.

That's why he said verizon iphone. It's a known limitation with verizon and the iphone.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

Edit: After doing some research, it appears that this is a limitation on the iPhone and not on the Verizon network. The newer phones on both Verizon and Sprint can do calls + data at the same time.
Yes, that's what it's about, the iPhones. None of them can do talk and surf at the same time on cellular. A lot of other smartphones phones for at least a little while now essentially have extra radios built into them that would allow for that.

----------

Yeah I just re-read what he posted and updated my post. Looks like Apple needs to play catch up in that department.
Yeah, pretty much. I think they are mostly waiting for voice to become available over LTE which should pretty much take care of it without Apple needing to do something extra like put in another radio or something like that.

SVTmaniac

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2013
I'd much rather them double my data cap instead of double the speed. My 4G was already fast enough for a phone, it's not like I download 1 gig files to it.

goaliemn

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2013
My understanding is ATT paid a premium to be the only one that does call and data at same time. I remember reading this afew years ago, but not quickly finding an article on it..

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
Yes, that's what it's about, the iPhones. None of them can do talk and surf at the same time on cellular. A lot of other smartphones phones for at least a little while now essentially have extra radios built into them that would allow for that.

AT&T iPhones have been able to do simultaneous voice + cellular data beginning (IIRC) with the 3GS. AT&T used to run an iPhone 4 commercial mocking Verizon over this.

And, as I pointed out above, with an AT&T SIM card in a Verizon iPhone 5S, I also get simultaneous voice + cellular data, but not with a Verizon SIM card.

FWIW, the Sprint iPhone 5S models would have the same problem, except they don't come from the factory GSM-unlocked like the Verizon models do. That tells me it's something to do with the CDMA radio Apple is using, not that its specific to a particular wireless provider.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
AT&T iPhones have been able to do simultaneous voice + cellular data beginning (IIRC) with the 3GS. AT&T used to run an iPhone 4 commercial mocking Verizon over this.

And, as I pointed out above, with an AT&T SIM card in a Verizon iPhone 5S, I also get simultaneous voice + cellular data, but not with a Verizon SIM card.

FWIW, the Sprint iPhone 5S models would have the same problem, except they don't come from the factory GSM-unlocked like the Verizon models do. That tells me it's something to do with the CDMA radio Apple is using, not that its specific to a particular wireless provider.
It's somewhat both essentially. When using an iPhone on Verizon you won't have this ability, as you mentioned. Verizon as a carrier lacked this ability until SVDO became available and supported by some phones and then when LTE became available and phones had separate radios for LTE and CDMA. The iPhone doesn't have that so it doesn't support that, even though there's a way to do it with Verizon these days as various Android phones can do. So, it's a bit of both, Verizon's network and iPhone, although at this point a phone can do it on Verizon's network if it has the radios to do it.

kaielement

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2010
What sucks is that the new verizon jet pack only works with lte and xlte not with 3G or even hpspa+ which sucks because we have spotty lte coverage and no xlte where I live. Might be a few years before we see it get better.

Last edited:

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis
Will this apply to the original iPhone 5? Isn't the 5c just a repackaged 5?

To anyone that thinks this: no, the iPhone 5C is not a "repackaged" iPhone 5. It has newer/better hardware.

Compared the iPhone 5, the iPhone 5C has:

* sturdier, steel-enforced body
* bigger battery (1510 mAh vs 1440 mAh)
* better front-facing camera (1.9µm pixels vs 1.75µm)
* improved LTE radio

For example, if you buy a US iPhone 5, you can expect it to work with just these LTE bands:

2 (1900)
4 (1700)
5 (850)
17 (700)

If you get the US iPhone 5C, you can expect it to work with these LTE bands:

1 (2100)
2 (1900)
3 (1800)
4 (1700)
5 (850)
8 (900)
13 (700)
17 (700)
19 (800)
20 (800)
25 (1900)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.