Verizon doesn't have the brightest crayons in the box working for them......

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by yg17, Dec 11, 2006.

1. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    Ssssh!!!! If the government finds about this, they will hire them to do payments for contractors in Iraq! :D
  2. d wade macrumors 65816

d wade

Jun 27, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    im not gonna get into why, but i am fully behind this thread w/o even having to read the article.

i hate Verizon with every ounce of my body. they are the dumbest MFers i have ever encountered, and i know some pretty dumb MFers
  3. stillwater macrumors regular

Sep 1, 2004
    Rowley, MA
    My brain hurts from listening to that recording.

That's twenty-three minutes of my life I wish I could get back. :mad:
  4. stoid macrumors 601

Feb 17, 2002
    So long, and thanks for all the fish!
    It cut me off after about 6 minutes, but thta was long enough.

The whole time I kept thinking that the operator was just 'playing dumb' to try and cover for their previous mistake. Maybe hoping that the caller would just get frustrated, pay his bill, and cancel after his contract was up.
  5. princealfie macrumors 68030

Mar 7, 2006
    Salt Lake City UT
  6. Clydefrog macrumors 6502a

Feb 24, 2006
    Fair Credit Billing Act, just write to verizon telling them that there is a mistake on the bill, and they must change or expain the mistake, the best would be just to file a complaint
  7. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

Jan 25, 2002
    Orange County, CA
    I knew I'd never use Verizon the first time I saw their logo. That little red checkmark is annoying...what were they thinking...and then the Z that looks like it belongs on a 5 year-old's bicycle. :confused:
  8. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

Staff Member

Jan 20, 2005
    I'm at the 20-minute's killing me.

He doesn't help his cause by screwing up himself in several places, but it's just painful to see how inept these people are.
  9. runplaysleeprun macrumors 6502a

Jul 27, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    unbelievable. Honestly, there was hardly any way he could have explained that better, and they still didn't get it. I, for once, hope that call was outsourced so it doesn't make the American education system look (as) crappy.
  10. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

Oct 8, 2002
    The Bamboo Forest
    If it were outsourced they probably would have gotten right. I have no idea what the relationship between a pence and a pound is (if there even is one) or any other foreign currency for that matter. If it had been outsourced they might not have known cents to dollars and thus not randomly changed the units.
  11. yellow Moderator emeritus

Oct 21, 2003
    Portland, OR
    So funny, someone I work with sent me this link today.

It might have helped if he refered to "cents" as "pennies".

However, I think towards the end the manager lady actually got it, but then realized she had to continue to play dumb since there's likely nothing she can do (at the moment).
  12. cycocelica macrumors 68000

Apr 28, 2005
    Redmond, WA
    There are reasons I dropped that **** hole company.

That guy has patients. I would go insane on that lady.
  13. clayj macrumors 604

Jan 14, 2005
    visiting from downstream
    Like the old AT&T ad said... you get what you pay for. If companies like Verizon insist on hiring the absolute cheapest bodies they can to staff their support centers, it's only logical that they're going to get a bunch of morons and piss off their customers.
  14. Graeme A macrumors 6502

Graeme A

Aug 6, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    mobile phone billing systems are complicated, i know as i work with one day in, day out.

roaming agreements are expensive and for data would normally include a fixed amount of usage; we charged $12/Mb with an initial setup amount of 25kb.

The company who originally set it up used Kb as the price in the tables which took the damned thing down to the 5th decimal place, and even then we were losing out because of rounding. I re-jigged it a little so if some CSR did happen upon the rate_usage values, it would state 1200000 with the 5 implied decimals.

anyone with an ounce of sense would realise that overseas roaming = $$$ and its best not to do it unless very necessary or someone else is picking up the bill.

It sounds like someone had a little bit of knowledge and turned out to be highly dangerous to the customers pocket.
  15. SkyBell macrumors 604

Sep 7, 2006
    Texas, unfortunately.
  16. iMetroid macrumors member

Apr 25, 2006
    Baltimore, MD
    I've failed math in every grade, and even I got that!
  17. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

Aug 1, 2004
    St. Louis, MO
    Ugh, Cingular is just as bad. We've had billing issues and it's been tough getting them to fix it. I think my mom spent 2 hours on the phone with them just trying to get the billing date changed to make it more convenient with payday. Not to mention, the actual cellular service is horrible out here.

Verizon (from what I hear) has great cell coverage and signal. But their selection of phones is mediocre (thanks to them not using GSM probably) then they cripple them too. Plus, as we see, their customer service reps are, well, dumbasses.

My sister's had T-Mobile for years and has never had a problem with them. Which is where we're headed when our Cingular contract expires in 12 days
  18. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

Apr 10, 2003
    The "Garden" state
    They all have issues, but I've stuck with Cingular. They did charge me twice for internet one month (pay per use and my data plan), but a quick phone call straightened that out.
    Like any company, you need to watch what you're being charged. I like Cingular because they have a good phone selection, decent coverage, and GSM. I hate being locked into a cdma phone and being stuck at the mercy of my provider's activation...
  19. Mammoth macrumors 6502a

Nov 29, 2005
    Wow.. I'm 13 and even I knew the Verizon people were dead wrong.
    (I wouldn't mind having an Unlimited data option though, seeing as there are no such thing in Canada)
  20. Superdrive macrumors 6502a

Oct 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    I'm not even listening to this above. I just would like to mention that I spent 3 hours in a Verizon store last weekend exchanging two handsets. It really took that long. For the other phone on the account, at the other store, it only took 2 hours. This is just terrible, and I don't know why people put up with it.
  21. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

Aug 1, 2004
    St. Louis, MO

Damn :eek:

We switched to T-Mobile. Porting 3 numbers from Cingular and opening a brand new, 4th line took them 50 minutes, and I believe the guy working with us was a trainee, so it probably could've been even quicker. And I'm sure porting is much more complicated than a handset swap
  22. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

Mar 10, 2005
    Los Angeles, California
    this has to be one of the best things from the net in a long time
  23. obeygiant macrumors 68040

Jan 14, 2002
    totally cool
    I only listened to the first 4 minutes.

Fact: This customer knew the quote was wrong, which was why he asked several times before he went to Canada. He admits this at one point.

Fact: This customer was not overcharged.

Fact: This customer was misquoted.

Fact: This customer was not overcharged.

Fact: This customer used 35 MB of data, which is an insane amount on a cell phone.

Fact: This customer enjoys being a smartass and teasing someone who just doesn't understand his point.

Fact: This customer should have just hung up the phone and wrote a letter. The people who have to form complete sentences to write a reply are probably smarter than anyone at Verizon that works the phones. Or the customer could just pay the bill, because he wasn't overcharged.

Fact: This guy got so passive aggressive about a COMPLETELY CORRECT $70 charge he didn't want to pay, he posted a recording on the Internet, and now we're discussing his $70 charge. $70.

Fact: This customer's inability to see that he was charged correctly is an equal crime to Verizon's inability to comprehend math.

That said, Verizon should absolutely refund him the difference between what he was charged and what he was quoted, and advise him that the going rate is $0.02/KB for next time.