Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
I really feel sorry for all the Americans who get absolutely SCREWED with the pricing of their plans.

The iPhone is the only Apple product that is better value for us europeans than the Americans.

Boy, you're going to be shocked then when you find out how much Canadians are paying...

Corban987

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2011
Michigan
this is crazy
You pay so much for so little
In Asia it's about $10 for unlimited data. As an example, I pay $55 a month for unlimited data, no rules on tethering, and unknown amount of minutes and texts that I never exceed so don't know what the limit is. Also, the phone companies provide free wifi everywhere so that the iPhone connects to the wifi points anywhere you go (FREE) to reduce bandwidth on the 3G network.

Wondersnite

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2010
Really?? Lol, data plans are horrid in the US. Pretty soon they'll ask you to sell your soul too.

In Portugal, Europe we have only two data plans: €15 (≈$20) for unlimited with max speed from 1GB, €30 (≈$40) for unlimited plan.

Why can't American carriers keep it simple?

Capping data was bad enough when AT&T did it...but at least they introduced a 50% cheaper price point for light users. Verizon is just slapping their customer's in the face.

I was hoping to jump ship when my AT&T contract is up...not anymore. In light of America's economic climate, they still have the nerve to severely disenfranchise their customer base? Go F^*# yourself Verizon.

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
These companies should keep unlimited data plans but make the person using it pay for it instead of everyone else.

I agree, although the unlimited plan would likely be outrageously expensive because the people who would buy it are the ones that caused AT&T to drop the unlimited option--i.e., folks downloading tons of videos etc.

Centient

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2009
Capping data was bad enough when AT&T did it...but at least they introduced a 50% cheaper price point for light users. Verizon is just slapping their customer's in the face.

I was hoping to jump ship when my AT&T contract is up...not anymore. In light of America's economic climate, they still have the nerve to severely disenfranchise their customer base? Go F^*# yourself Verizon.

Assuming this is true, I'm really surprised by these figures. I honestly didn't think VZ would go out of their way to make AT&T look generous by comparison. Shows how much I know.

I suppose the only thing we don't know about yet is what the family data share plans look like. Perhaps that's an area where VZ shows a competitive advantage...?

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
I'm not paying for weiner shows and stupid-girl 18 hours per day phone use.

Maybe get an unlocked phone and pre-pay? Or do they restrict that in some way?

ArcaneDevice

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2003
outside the crazy house, NC
Being charged for tethering is a ****ing joke.

As if it matters whether you are checking your email through your app or through your laptop mail program.

Another case of the US being screwed by the telecommunications industry. No wonder the rest of the world is jumping ahead.

Arcadie

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2008
Buy your sprint stock quick before every one else figures out ATT customers who jump ship wont be going to verizon..

JohnyMac

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2006
Suth Fla
Good Timing then...

Was just going to give my iPhone 3G to the wife, then decided maybe I would get her a new one from Verizon.......<scrrreeccchhhhhh> Not gonna happen, nop, not going to do it now.
Greed...OMG, they are apparently trying to make up the money the lost by having ATT get the first iPhones.....

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
It is!
It doesn't cost the carrier more than a couple dollars to transfer a few GB's.

False. It is text messages that are that case. Data on the other had it does cost the carriers money.

Data for cell network is not exactly cheap.

Dang, and I thought the $30 5GB plan through my wireless company was overpriced.

A few years ago 5GB per month was about the break even point for carriers. 5GB cost them about 30 bucks for the cell network. That is why those people sucking down huge amounts of data were a huge issues. It was a loss to them. the 100GB users AT&T would really say do not let the door hit you on the way out. Let someone else deal with the money pit.

Biggest problem I have is carriers are not increasing their cap at said price point with time. It should go up. Just like they keep increasing our broadband speed at the same price point. I do worry that with the caps there they are putting some long term money in the works as they know it will not be long before average usage is going to be ramming 250+gigs a month and they know it. That number should be adjusted as well to account for increases in average usage over time which is exponentially increasing.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Scare Tactics

wow Verizon is screwing over their customers. Not suprised.

They will go to tiered pricing (I expect all the carriers to go that route) but I'm very doubtful that they will charge these prices. I think they are just trying to scare people into getting a phone now on the unlimited plan and I think that the actual monthly prices will be similar to AT+T.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.