Verizon DSL w/Mac OS X

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by hestres, Jun 6, 2002.

1. hestres macrumors newbie

Jun 6, 2002
    Hi all,

I'm considering getting DSL with Verizon (I live in DC), but their website says the support Mac OS 9...says nothing of X. Does anyone have DSL with Verizon using OS X, and if so, is it easy to configure? :confused:

2. Choppaface macrumors 65816

Jan 22, 2002
    I don't, but it shouldn't be any big deal. you might have to boot into 9 to use some of their software the first time around or something but you should be able to use X with it
  3. AlphaTech macrumors 601

Oct 4, 2001
    Natick, MA
    I have DSL, but not with Verizon (they offered less then 1/2 of the speed I get for the same money as my current ISP). I do know that most of what you need is built into OS X to get online via DSL. You won't need additional software, as you do with OS 9. Do you have any intentions to get a router/firewall or base station?? If so, then their Mac support (or lack thereof) is a non-issue. You will just need to configure either the router or base station to go online for you, and then connect to that. That will make your connection truly 'always on' and you won't need to log in or anything.
  4. Macpoops macrumors 6502

Jan 15, 2002
    No problem

I have Verizon DSL and my powerbook works fine with it. The PPPoE is built right into X so your set there. I use my airport base station to access the DSL now but for a while there i was hardwaring into it. You should have no problems with it
  5. markeleven macrumors newbie

Feb 10, 2002
    Verizon DSL & OS X

I have two iBooks and a G4 Plus and iMac running off of Verszon DSL and an airport base station w a router. Two machine run some version of 9 and two run os X Getting it set up is about as hard as falling off a Log.
    Don't sweat it & don't believe everything you read.
  6. jsjr macrumors newbie

Feb 20, 2002
    Verizon DSL on Mac OS X

It does work fine...
    I had installed on my computer before I switch to Cable Modem...

The configuration is quite simple, you just have to use PPPoE to make the connection... and you are all set....