Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hunts121

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 21, 2005
Massachusetts
my grandparents have just purchased DSL and are attempting to set it up without my help. So I am asking those with DSL (they have verizon), the package includes 5 DSL filters, do you use them on all your phones/accessories or just the one plugged in via the splitter for the DSL modem? I have cable so I don't know as much about DSL and can't see the package to tell them what to do.

Cfg5

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2003
California
I set up my DSL service a couple months ago. My manual said not to put any filters any the line going to the modem and just put filters on telephones or any accessories. It's....

DSL modem - no filter
anything else - filter

joecool85

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2005
Maine
Cfg5 said:
I set up my DSL service a couple months ago. My manual said not to put any filters any the line going to the modem and just put filters on telephones or any accessories. It's....

DSL modem - no filter
anything else - filter

Yep. I have Verizon DSL and thats how it works. My setup package came with a huge poster describing how to do it lol.

Hunts121

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 21, 2005
Massachusetts
Cfg5 said:

DSL modem - no filter
anything else - filter

sorry should have clarified I know not to put one on the line going to the modem, it came with a splitter and it says to plug that into one of them which is going to a phone, NOT the modem :)

I guess what I want to know is all the other phones in their house need to use one of those filters correct?

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
Hunts121 said:
I guess what I want to know is all the other phones in their house need to use one of those filters correct?
Yes. If you don't have enough, they are about $3 at Radio Shack. DSL runs on a different frequency than POTS (plain old telephone service). That is way they can run on the same wire. The problem is that when you listen to a phone, you can hear the unwanted frequencies of DSL making the call very staticy. The filters block out frequencies that DSL uses, but POTS does not. This leaves your call as clear as if their was no DSL on the line. Even faxes devices such as faxes should have filter. Some people find a filter on a fax does nothing. Other fine that the unwanted frequencies disrupt the data send in the fax. I'm not going to lie. There is much more going on than this, but this one of the biggest reasons you need filters.

Hunts121

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 21, 2005
Massachusetts
grapes911 said:
Yes. If you don't have enough, they are about $3 at Radio Shack. DSL runs on a different frequency than POTS (plain old telephone service). That is way they can run on the same wire. The problem is that when you listen to a phone, you can hear the unwanted frequencies of DSL making the call very staticy. The filters block out frequencies that DSL uses, but POTS does not. This leaves your call as clear as if their was no DSL on the line. Even faxes devices such as faxes should have filter. Some people find a filter on a fax does nothing. Other fine that the unwanted frequencies disrupt the data send in the fax. I'm not going to lie. There is much more going on than this, but this one of the biggest reasons you need filters.

cool thats all i wanted to know, yeah theres enough, the kit came with 5, thanks for your help

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
What I did was split the telephone line in the basement. I then plugged a splitter into the DSL router. Then I plugged the outside line into one jack of the splitter. The other jack has a filter and that feeds the rest of the house. It's nice not to have all of those filters all over the place.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.