Verizon DSL

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by JohnEZ, Feb 12, 2006.

1. JohnEZ macrumors member

Hi all,

I'm stuck in the dark ages when it comes to internet. My parents have not seen the light, and really don't care--they don't use the computer anyway.

But at any rate, I'm trying to show them how it can be inexpensive by having them look at Verizon's $14.95/month DSL package. Now on their system requirements page, it says compatible with Mac OS X 10.1-10.2. Now this may sound dumb... but does this mean they're entirely excluding Mac users with 10.3 and 10.4? Anyone have it running...?

Thanks,
    John

2. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Verizon DSL will work with any operating system. The only part that can be a pain is the initial account setup, but you can cheat and do that with a regular browser if your machine doesn't run their install software.

3. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

if it'll work in 10.2, it'll work in 10.4 :)

just DONT let any 'rizon techno-boobs fool with your mac.....

connect everything, go to the newtork prefs, choose configure w/DHCP, clik on "apply now" and be happy !

4. amacgenius macrumors 68000

amacgenius

I've been on Verizon DSL for over a year, and I started on Panther and am now running 10.4.4 so that answers your question, although as stated the account activation process was a slight bit confusing because they send you windows instructions, but we got it up and running (thanks to me).

5. JohnEZ thread starter macrumors member

LOL Great, just what I was looking for. Maybe with some luck, I'll convince the parents now.

Thanks again!
    -John

6. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Not necessarily. But it is true in this case.

7. amacgenius macrumors 68000

amacgenius

I didn't have to do much to convince my parents, stepdad works for Verizon so we got a discount on it which made it cheaper and faster than (at the time) our AOL ;).

8. JohnEZ thread starter macrumors member

LOL Well, my parents say it's because I'm bugging them. But with them, it's a Catch-22... they don't care enough to discuss it on their own, and when you try to get a converstaion going about it, they'll say "Shut up and stop bugging me." So either way, I lose... :rolleyes:

-John

9. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

As amacgenius said, it is somewhat easy, I've had them for over a year now and not one problem with setup. I think with my new Intel iMac I made three clicks and I was done :)
    Good luck