Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmo1116

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 27, 2010
Alabama
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_6 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E200 Safari/6533.18.5)

So here's the story. I checked the account online and it says upgrade eligible now and will receive additional discount on 5/14/11. Talked to a Verizon rep and he said "yeah you're eligible now but if you wait until 5/14 you will get $50 off". Since I'm on my parents plan, my mother didn't want to miss out on that extra discount but of course I wouldn't mind not getting the $50 off. Heck, I told her I'd pay her $50 and get the upgrade now. Guess that's all I can do at the moment!

Mvbalaj

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_6 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E200 Safari/6533.18.5)

So here's the story. I checked the account online and it says upgrade eligible now and will receive additional discount on 5/14/11. Talked to a Verizon rep and he said "yeah you're eligible now but if you wait until 5/14 you will get $50 off". Since I'm on my parents plan, my mother didn't want to miss out on that extra discount but of course I wouldn't mind not getting the $50 off. Heck, I told her I'd pay her $50 and get the upgrade now. Guess that's all I can do at the moment!

i literally just got off the phone with verizon and did any early upgraded for phone to the iphone. My original upgrade was set for 5/9/11 but i told her that my phone isn't working properly,its all messed up and i need a phone ASAP and that i dont want to get it repaired and paying for it with an upgrade in a few weeks.

She talked to her supervisor and went ahead with an early upgrade.
Just try to ******** them as much as possible

My iphone4 is now coming on thursday :D:D:D

richard4339

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2006
Illinois
They still have to remove the ESN from your account to put the new ESN of the iPhone on there.. When they remove the old phones ESN, it will deactivate that phone. If you are getting a new phone number then they MAY be able to work around by doing an add a line, but otherwise.. It would reactive her current phone.. Activating with iTunes simply activates your Apple account.

Ok I see.
I figure I'll wait until she gets off work until I go to Verizon to pick up the phone. She'll be phoneless (and confused) for a bit before I surprise her!

If you order online, the phone will not be activated until you are ready, unlike if you go to a store, so thats another option. But yes, when you activate the new phone, be it in a store or at home or wherever, the old phone is then deactivated.

kramerica20

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2011
i literally just got off the phone with verizon and did any early upgraded for phone to the iphone. My original upgrade was set for 5/9/11 but i told her that my phone isn't working properly,its all messed up and i need a phone ASAP and that i dont want to get it repaired and paying for it with an upgrade in a few weeks.

She talked to her supervisor and went ahead with an early upgrade.
Just try to ******** them as much as possible

My iphone4 is now coming on thursday :D:D:D

Nice work. I'll give it a try for my wife's. I'm surprised they didn't just force you over to tech support.

Mvbalaj

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2011
haha yeah so was I. I guess she felt bad or something because when I was talking to her so could barely hear me.

good luck and i hope for the best

jmo1116

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 27, 2010
Alabama

Yes! Talked to customer service and got the iPhone for my fiance. It's set to be delivered tomorrow morning for her birthday. Thanks for the input everyone

Mvbalaj

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2011

Yes! Talked to customer service and got the iPhone for my fiance. It's set to be delivered tomorrow morning for her birthday. Thanks for the input everyone

CONGRATS !! i really hope she enjoys it

victorvu

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2011

Congratulations! I'm sure she will be very happy.

kramerica20

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2011
Just got shot down. In fact csr & supervisor "offered" me to PAY $20 to upgrade. Yeah, that's going to happen.

....guess I'll need to call again....any suggestions?

Mvbalaj

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2011
Just got shot down. In fact csr & supervisor "offered" me to PAY $20 to upgrade. Yeah, that's going to happen.

....guess I'll need to call again....any suggestions?

keep calling, start off by being relaxed and just give them some excuse on why your phone isn't working and if they give you a hard time you could always threaten to join AT&T when your contract expires

I also did that, i told my rep. "that if i cant get an early upgrade i'll just get the AT&T iPhone so i could do both voice and data & go overseas with their iPhone"... try that see what they say

saintsbabylove

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2010
I don't mean to butt in but my boyfriend and I just got contracts with Verizon when we were with AT&T and I was wondering if the cases for the Iphone from AT&T will fit the Iphone from verizon or if they really are different.

kramerica20

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2011
I don't mean to butt in but my boyfriend and I just got contracts with Verizon when we were with AT&T and I was wondering if the cases for the Iphone from AT&T will fit the Iphone from verizon or if they really are different.

message sent to avoid hijacking thread.

WolfStrong

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2011
Thought I would help clear up what people are experiencing. Verizon USE to have it to where if you were on a price plan of $40 (or maybe it was $50), you could upgrade after 12 months, instead of the normal 20 when on a 2 year contract at the cost of an additional $20 "early upgrade fee". If you were a secondary line, being $9.99 (obviously < $40-50), you HAD to wait for your 20 month upgrade date.

With this said, however, exceptions can be made, being "manager exceptions", and they will allow you to upgrade even if you do not qualify for either the "early upgrade program", or a standard 20month upgrade. This is essentially the store manually discounting the device, and FYI, THIS IS NOT allowed on the iPhone (or Thunderbolt for that matter). No exceptions whether you call in, or go to a retail store.

To further get into detail, those early upgrades are no longer available except those grandfathered into one last one. Any price plan of the $40/50 mark that upgraded before 1/17/2011 will be able to use one last early upgrade, but anyone upgrading after 1/17/11 will have to wait to the 20 month mark. Another interested bit of into is 12 month contracts have also gone away as of less then a week ago, meaning it is either full retail (and there is no discounting that), or the 2 year contact pricing with an upgrade 20 months out.

Hope this helps out.

kramerica20

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2011
Thought I would help clear up what people are experiencing. Verizon USE to have it to where if you were on a price plan of $40 (or maybe it was $50), you could upgrade after 12 months, instead of the normal 20 when on a 2 year contract at the cost of an additional $20 "early upgrade fee". If you were a secondary line, being $9.99 (obviously < $40-50), you HAD to wait for your 20 month upgrade date.

With this said, however, exceptions can be made, being "manager exceptions", and they will allow you to upgrade even if you do not qualify for either the "early upgrade program", or a standard 20month upgrade. This is essentially the store manually discounting the device, and FYI, THIS IS NOT allowed on the iPhone (or Thunderbolt for that matter). No exceptions.

To further get into detail, those early upgrades are no longer available except those grandfathered into one last one. Any price plan of the $40/50 mark that upgraded before 1/17/2011 will be able to use one last early upgrade, but anyone upgrading after 1/17/11 will have to wait to the 20 month mark. Another interested bit of into is 12 month contracts have also gone away as of less then a week ago, meaning it is either full retail (and there is no discounting that), or the 2 year contact pricing with an upgrade 20 months out.

Hope this helps out.

Hmm, so the people in this thread are liars?:rolleyes: I considered that. But I think that at least some are telling the truth. It has always been experience that you have to talk to the right person.

In my wife's case, she is the primary line on a $70/mo. plan (actually grandfathered at the $60 rate for the same plan), and is eligible for discounted pricing. $199, $299 on the IP4's......6 mo. away from the "loyalty discount" that she was quoted at $30 (I thought it was $50, like mine) but whatever....the point is below. She actually is having many problems with her Eris, and rather than buying an in the meantime solution, would like to upgrade to the IP4. She's just as "loyal" a 10-year customer as she'll be six months from now, but was denied by the csr and that particular csr's supervisor.

Regarding offering the early loyalty discount, if they won't, they won't. (though there seems to be evidence of it here unless you're all liars :p) But, "offering" her to pay $20 to pay $299 (and sign another 2 year contract) is hardly good customer service, especially given the current phone woes.

niclic06

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2011
I have had a similar experience to some on here...I am eligible for the primary line via the early upgrade ($20 fee) but not on my secondary line. I have called and talked to about 5 different csr's now, but have not gotten any of them to budge on upgrading the secondary line for an iPhone, which is around 6 months away from being eligible.

Krispy162

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2008
I called today to see about any early upgrades and they pretty much told me I have to wait until 4/2012 for my next upgrade. No available early upgrades anymore.

Not sure what to do come September and the ip5. My droid X sucks right now and I'd be surprised if it makes it much longer.

Could I open a new line to buy the ip5 and then switch it to my phone # and give the droid X to the new line? Then cancel the new line within the time period I have?

Trying to research the terms & conditions to adding a new line to family plan

ETA: I'm sure this idea won't work because I'd have to return the device lol

Any help?

mousouchop

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2008
New York
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_9 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E501 Safari/6533.18.5)

Adding a line to get a new phone sounds like such a wasteful idea. Unless your income is dependent on having the newest iPhone (I guess this would be true if you're an iOS programmer), then I don't see why anyone would need the latest and greatest THAT badly.

I hate the disposable attitude of today's society... throwing away perfectly usable gadgets, and 10$ a month.

If you MUST do this upgrade, why not sell her old phone now while it's still worth something, and put her on a dumb phone for a month... That should make an unsubsidized iPhone just as affordable.

EDIT: I didn't realize that she may not currently have an iPhone, which would make getting a profit off the old phone kinda hard. Either way adding a new line is silly. It will end up costing you 240$ (10$ x 24 months) on top of the 200$ for the phone. How much is the unsubbed iPhone, 600$? Try to get at least 160 for her old phone.

Krispy162

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2008
I'm not trying to pay an obscene amount for the iPhone that's why I'm trying to find a loop hole somewhere. Tried calling for any kind of early upgrade fee. My friend just paid $20 to get an early upgrade but of course when I called VZ they said they don't do that anymore. lies?

I'll probably end up shopping Ebay for the iphone or stick with the Ip4 until my upgrade in 2012

Droid X would probably get $50 if I sell it now.

jefferiesma

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2011
New iphone 4g

I called because my droid was acting funny and they asked me what i wanted to do i told them i couldnt keep calling this is my second replacement so they let me upgrade early im not up for a upgrade till july 2012

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.