Verizon Fiber Optic

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by seabass069, Oct 27, 2005.

1. seabass069 macrumors regular

Oct 5, 2005
    Is anyone using the Versizon Fiber Optic internet. I am curious if it is worth switching from my cable provider to Verizon, if Verizon FIOS is available in my area.
  2. tag macrumors 6502a

Apr 29, 2005
    PA, US
    I have to admit FiOS looks sweet, but Verizon is sure lacking in the customer service department. They installed everything needed for FiOS in June for my area, and said it would be up and running by August, though its still not available for us yet, and everytime I call I seem to get a different answer as to why its not available (One even said it was available and signed me up, only to find out a day later I can't get it). I finally broke down for cable internet this week since I'm sick of waiting for FiOS.

But hey if its available in your area good luck to you, it looks sweet, especially the higher end offerings, I mean 30 Mbps/5 Mbps is pretty nice to have, can't go wrong with that, though in my opinion the 15 Mbps/2 Mbps seems to be the best deal, price wise anyways.

Sorry this isn't a helpful post, I just had to vent when I saw this subject, Verizon has just gotten me so mad over the last few months. :mad:
  3. njmac macrumors 68000

Jan 6, 2004
    Well I guess he could've resurrected one of those threads, but really only the second one had a detailed opinion from one person.

Fios is going to be available in my area soon and I too would like to hear from people who are using the service.
  4. Verto macrumors 6502a

Jul 20, 2005
    Denton, TX
    The other day I got a notice on the door announcing Verizon would be laying fiber optic cables on my street, which prompted me tonight to do a little research on it. Then I stumbled onto this thread.

Here is an article by a guy describing the process he went through in having the FIOS installed; he was pleased with the customer service, and happy with it overall.

I am hoping to switch over (I currently have Verizon DSL), especially with the bundled offers.
  5. Calvinatir macrumors 6502

Nov 8, 2003
    I've been to a few client's houses that have the 15mb connection. It is rocket fast. It blew away all the speed tests I did. I highly recommend it and it's very affordable here in the malibu/calabasas area. $44.95/month for the 15 and near $130 I think for the 30mb connection. I can't get a difinitive answer from a Verizon rep if it is available in my area of Calabasas or not yet.
  6. belvdr macrumors 601

Aug 15, 2005
    The only issue I have heard of is they block inbound connections.