Verizon FiOS Issues

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by bhubb3rd, Dec 30, 2006.

1. bhubb3rd macrumors newbie

Dec 30, 2006
    Hello All,

I got FiOS about 4 months ago and eliminated the Verizon supplied router the same day I got it. I had a Linksys RF router set up and I just plugged the FiOS cat 5 into the Linksys and reset the router. It has worked fine ever since.

So, after buying 2 MacBook Pros, I decided today to eliinate the Linksys and substitute an Airport Extreme. Big problems! I was able to set up the APE with no problems, and both MBP's conneted to it. The problem is no Internet! I called Aple, they seem to think there is a problem with the IP address, which this thread seems to indicate as well. I have a call in to Verizon, but past experience shows I might as well talk to myself!

Any ideas? I see someone said Verizon remotely relesed the lease on the DCHP, it looks like I can do this myself, but just wanted to get any input here. I would be a shame to take the APE back to Apple and keep using the Linksys, which is what I am doing now. Removed the APE, plugged in the old Linksys, everything is working like a champ! Go figure, I thought this Apple stuff was supposed to be simple!

2. weldon macrumors 6502a

May 22, 2004
    Denver, CO
    I don't have FiOS myself, but I have noticed with my cable service from Comcast that their DHCP server won't lease an IP address to a new device for some time if I unplug the old router. If the Linksys has a command to release the DHCP lease (I don't have one of those either), then you could try doing that first, and then disconnecting it.

In any case, the DHCP server on Verizon's network is responsible for giving your Airport Extreme an IP address. It may not want to if it thinks it already gave an IP address to another device at your location.

I would pursue the DHCP release angle first. If you can't release the DHCP lease, then check on the Linksys to see when it will expire or renew. The client device will typically start trying to renew when half the lease is over.
  3. balamw Moderator

Staff Member

Aug 16, 2005
    New England
    They're coming out to install FiOS on Friday for me, so I don't have anything substantial to add. For the APE it could just be that the VZ DHCP server just doesn't like it. I and many others had problems with my VZ supplied Westell 327W connecting to my Core Duo iMac. Does the APE support MAC address spoofing?

Thanks for answering a couple of questions for me indirectly about it. So I understand that their box will convert the fiber to Ethernet and then the VZ supplied router (or one I provide) will hook up to that by Cat5?

Unfortunately the Cat5 and RG-6 lines in my office are behind a bookshelf so I may have to install the router in another room on another floor and just use wireless to the office. Grr... Unless of course they can run it over the POTS lines.

4. Joony macrumors regular

Jan 7, 2005
    If I remember correctly, FiOS used PPPoE (like DSL) for authentication, rather than cable modems which just gave out a DHCP address.

You'd need to change the WAN Configuration from DHCP to PPPoE, and supply the proper credentials.

You can log into your Linksys router (usually and check the WAN type.
  5. Music_Producer macrumors 68000

Sep 25, 2004
    Just disconnect everything (the cable from your router, etc.) turn everything off and leave it like that for a couple of hours. Reconnect everything and power it back on.. you should be up and running. It seems that when you change routers, the network is 'stuck' to one router.. and it takes a couple of hours to break that link. Weird, I know.
  6. rogersmj macrumors 68020

Sep 10, 2006
    Indianapolis, IN
    It's not "weird", there's a good reason for it working that way. Many ISPs limit the number of MAC address allowed to be connected within a certain period of time; they don't want people switching devices willy-nilly and overloading their DHCP server, among other concerns.

Forcing a release on your Linksys router before disconnecting might work. The thing that should definitely work is if you clone your WAN MAC address from the Linksys router onto the WAN MAC for the Airport. Then the FiOS network won't know the difference between the two.
  7. Mac'Mo macrumors 6502a

Aug 29, 2006
    wow lucky ppl who get FiOs =(( i wanted it but they dont offer it in my neighborhood! damn you VZ!