Verizon Introduces 'Share Everything' Service Plan for Up to Ten Devices

Discussion in ' News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 12, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

Verizon today announced the launch of a new "Share Everything" pricing structure designed to allow users to share monthly data allotments across multiple devices. The plan, which is rolling out on June 28, includes unlimited voice and messaging across all devices, with an overall data cap and number and type of devices being the only differentiating factors among pricing tiers.

Each device carries a base monthly access charge ranging from $10 for a tablet to $40 for a smartphone. A single data charge is then applied on top of that base amount, starting at $50 for 1 GB and ranging up to $100 for 10 GB. Mobile hotspot functionality within the data cap is also included at no extra charge.

Compared to Verizon's existing plans, the new Share Everything plan appears to represent a solid value even for single-device customers interested in unlimited minutes and texting, but less so for other customers.

Under Verizon's current pricing, a customer would pay a total of $120 per month for unlimited minutes ($70), unlimited messaging ($20) and 2 GB of data ($30). Adding mobile hotspot functionality costs an additional $20 but increases the total data cap to 4 GB.

With the new Share Everything plan, a customer would pay $100 per month for the same service: $40 smartphone access and $60 for unlimited minutes and messaging and 2 GB of data. With mobile hotspot functionality included at no additional charge, stepping up to the 4 GB plan would cost just $10. In addition, a user could add an iPad to his or her account for just $10 per month with no contract requirement, as long as it was drawing from the same data allotment as the user's phone.

The plans are not as good of a deal for users with packages of lower numbers of minutes. A user with 450 minutes, unlimited messaging and 2 GB of data would pay $90 under current plans, compared to $100 under Share Everything, although the new plan does offer mobile hotspot at no additional charge. Current plans also offer a range of messaging options from pay-per-use up to unlimited, allowing lower-use customers to cut their monthly bills even further.

As the balance of smartphone usage shifts increasingly toward data and away from voice minutes, carriers are seeking to simplify the voice and messaging aspects of their plans to focus on data allotments as the primary differentiator among their plans. The shift is a reversal from the previous model in which customers selected from a number of options for voice minutes and then received unlimited data for a set monthly charge. In addition to Verizon, AT&T has also expressed its preference for this new model, while Sprint, the third major iPhone carrier in the United States, has indicated that it remains committed to its unlimited data offerings.

Article Link: Verizon Introduces 'Share Everything' Service Plan for Up to Ten Devices
  2. macrumors Core

Jul 24, 2006
    The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
    Seriously, why is the prospect of "Unlimited minutes" even a selling point anymore? Unlimited minutes was relevant 10 years ago. Not so much these days.
  3. daverso, Jun 12, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2012

macrumors regular

Sep 5, 2007
    actually seems surprisingly affordable... until the $40 per device...
  4. macrumors regular

Mar 17, 2009
  5. WannaGoMac, Jun 12, 2012

macrumors 65816

Feb 11, 2007
  6. slu
    macrumors 68000

Sep 15, 2004
    I don't agree. My wife and I do not currently have unlimited talk minutes or messaging. If we were to switch our two iPhones to this structure, we would actaully spend more money. I am glad the iPhone is going to pre-paid providers and that is where I will be going when my contract is up.
  7. macrumors 68000

Mar 29, 2009
    10GB data isn't enough for 1 power-user, much less shared between 10 devices.
  8. macrumors newbie

Jun 25, 2010
    Corporate Discounts

Will corporate discounts still be eligible to be applied on this pricing?
  9. macrumors 603

Sep 19, 2003
    Pathetic. I sure hope at&t's is better, but I'll bet it'll be worse.

What's especially irritating is the $10 fee for tablets. You are essentially just buying "permission" to use the device with the data you already bought.

Carriers need to just be dumb pipes. I should be able to buy chunks of data and use it however I choose.
  10. macrumors regular

Sep 10, 2009
    Still expensive unless unlimited minutes is what you want.
  11. macrumors member

May 19, 2010
    Minutes? Giving people more minutes is an attraction?

I'm sure some people need them, but personally I use maybe 40 minutes a month, the rest of my iPhone/iPad usage is data and text messages. My kids the same way; 15,000 text messages and 50 talk minutes per month...
  12. macrumors newbie

Apr 2, 2011
    Apparently simplifying the plan = screwing over customers by forcing to pay for unlimited voice and move over to low data usage tiers. Under their new share everything plan, our family would be paying nearly $50 more for the unlimited voice minutes we don't need, as well as a horribly low data cap for all our smartphone devices. I need to reconsider moving from my AT&T individual plan...
  13. macrumors newbie

Oct 17, 2007
    Edit: Quoted price from Family Share plan. Apologies.
  14. macrumors 601

Jun 27, 2007
    Central U.S.
    This seems like a better option for families than married couples or single people who don't talk and text a whole lot. My wife and I have no text plan and the smallest talk plan AT&T allows. We still end up with thousands in rollover. iMessages allows for texts to most of most of my friends and for those that have something else I use textPlus for free texting. I have unlimited data and my wife has 200MB and our bill is usually around $110/mo after taxes. That being said, I'm probably going to switch to Verizon with the next iPhone just because AT&T ticked me off over an issue and their coverage is shoddy.
  15. macrumors 6502

Apr 28, 2010
    $40 per line for a smartphone? - what a ripoff!
  16. macrumors 6502a

Jun 8, 2010
    Philadelphia, Pa, USA
    This may be affordable if they allow the corporate discounts to be applied to the Monthly access fees as well as the data charges. I am about to have 3 smart phones on my family plan, which is currently $185/month (including all taxes and fees) with unlimited data for 2 devices. Under this structure, I'm at $220, without taxes and fees. Need to see how this shakes out.

BTW unlimited voice is irrelevant to me and the unlimited messages loses its luster when you factor in the iMessage savings.
  17. macrumors 65816

Mar 26, 2008
    Why is it $40 for a smartphone and only $10 for a tablet? I'd expect the tablet to use more data.

Oh, right. Because they can. Everyone needs data on their smartphone, not everyone needs data on their tablet. Especially since tethering is included.

I wonder if I can just activate data on my iPad and tether my phone to it? Stupid solution to a problem that shouldn't exist, but I'd be saving $30/month.
  18. macrumors 68030

Oct 16, 2007
    Looks like I will be purchasing my next iPhone at full price to keep my current plan.
  19. macrumors 6502

Oct 25, 2008
    I'm in the same boat. I pay $40 for 450 minutes which I rarely use (and if I do, or need to bump up the plan it's due to work and they pay for it). Then $10 for messaging (I swear I used to have a $5 plan).

So that's $50. Plus $30 for the iPhone brings it to $80.

With their new plan I'd be paying $90.

I'd break even if I had the iPad on either plan, but the way it is now, I have more data.

I hope they are not doing away with their other plans as this one stinks for the low usage people!
  20. macrumors member

Nov 21, 2003
    They just assume people want more of everything. At most we use 100 minutes of voice per month, all our messages are iMessage and with two iPhones we use less than 500 MB per month. This new plan would cost us more every month. We shall stay put.
  21. macrumors 68030

Feb 17, 2009
    Agreed, why does it matter what device we access. It's all data?

$ 10 for a tablet is $ 120 a year just for that. Not happening here:)

It's like a water company wanted to charge us for taking water from a
    faucet and charge extra if we use

a bucket vs.
    a sprinkler vs
    a hose

22. macrumors 68040

Feb 15, 2010
    Boston, MA
    Once the iPhone gos LTE it might be worth it. I pay $180 for 2 iPhones now on AT&T for 2 iPhones and an iPad with more data would be less on Verizon. But verizon speed on 3G is way too slow. However it would be better if unlimited voice wasn't included don't need it.
  23. Small White Car, Jun 12, 2012

macrumors G4

Small White Car

Aug 29, 2006
    Washington DC
    EDIT: Oh, nevermind. I mis-read the chart. Based on this I'd be spending $100 and still get no data at that point.
  24. macrumors 6502

Mar 13, 2007
    So right now I pay about $68 for 450 minutes, 500 texts, and unlimited data. Under the new plan, I'd pay $90 + fees for unlimited minutes and text, and 1 GB of data? Screw you verizon! Never thought I would say this but I'll prob switch to ATT when the new iPhone comes out

"Share Everything?" More like "Share the lube!"
  25. macrumors 6502

Oct 25, 2008
    So who's up for contacting them? It worked when they were going to add a charge if you paid by cc!