Verizon iPhone 4s SIM Tray

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by blacka4, Oct 25, 2011.

1. macrumors 6502

Ok maybe someone can explain this one to me. Out of pure curiousity I open the SIM tray on my 4s and there was a Verizon SIM card...i'm confused. i know verizon doesn't use SIM cards Here is a photo

[​IMG]

2. macrumors 68000

roxxette

yeah , if i remember correctly its have to do with the whole "world phone" stuff , so you can use your phone overseas :)

3. Stealthipad, Oct 25, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2011

macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Now you know they DO use a SIM card.

4. thread starter macrumors 6502

But, I didn't get the world phone option when I preordered.

So I guess they do use SIM cards even in the CDMA devices but its not user accessable??? in other phones?

5. macrumors 65816

The sim card isn't used here in the USA, but if you go to another country your Verizon sim card will be used to roam onto other GSM networks that Verizon has deals with.

6. thread starter macrumors 6502

oh ok, looks like i will be heading to verizon for the factory unlock as I am traveling to canada soon, and europe.

i was just surprised to find a card in the tray. I assumed it would have been empty

7. macrumors member

You'll want to toss that SIM card out and buy one locally when you get where you're going- it'll be a lot cheaper that way from what I've heard of Verizon's international roaming rates.

8. thread starter macrumors 6502

yeah thats what I have heard. I am just surprised it came with a SIM in it in the first place as I didn't opt for the global plan in the first place

9. macrumors 65816

I'm sure they'd like to give you the option to turn that feature on without mailing you a new sim card.

10. macrumors G4

Small White Car

Yeah, it probably costs them 1/2 of a cent to make it and it gives them the ability to charge tons of cash if you decide to travel out of the country and use your phone with their card.

Just a handful of customers doing this will make it very worthwhile for them.

11. macrumors 6502

I seriously doubt that the phone would be unlocked for you so you could use a different provider. If they do unlock it, please return and let us know.

Thanks!

12. macrumors member

Verizon will unlock it for you as long as you've been with them for at least 60 days and have paid your bills. I called and got my phone unlocked last week.

Domestic SIM cards won't work apparently- just international. Plenty of other threads that go into this in more detail.

13. thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks guys.