Verizon iPhone 5 Confirmed to Be Unlocked on GSM 3G Networks

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 21, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

iDownloadBlog has confirmed that the Verizon iPhone 5 being sold on contract does arrive unlocked for use on GSM networks, allowing users with a nano-SIM or a trimmed micro-SIM from a GSM carrier such as AT&T to use the device on their networks.
    As the report notes, users attempting to use a Verizon iPhone 5 on AT&T in the United States will not have access to AT&T's LTE network, due to hardware differences that leave the Verizon iPhone 5 (which is essentially a single CDMA/GSM world-mode phone for 3G purposes) incompatible with LTE frequency bands 4 and 17 used by AT&T and Canadian carriers.

For other international GSM carriers, Verizon iPhone 5 owners should simply be able to obtain a nano-SIM card from the international carrier and use it in their phone.

Article Link: Verizon iPhone 5 Confirmed to Be Unlocked on GSM 3G Networks

2. macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Correct me if I am wrong but this is awesome!

3. macrumors 601

gotluck

this is surprising. it would be simply insane if it had the appropriate bands for att lte and remained unlocked - too good to be true!

regardless, this is still good! especially for the secondary / prepaid market - more compatible phones for straight talk and the like..

4. macrumors regular

That's the way it should have always been!! You're still under contract anyway which means you'll still have to pay your monthly bill even if you wanna use any other sim.

5. macrumors 68040

iParis

Soooo that's including T-Mobile? I'm sure this will help with resell value!

6. macrumors regular

that would have been useful information to have before i pre-ordered. bummer.

7. macrumors 6502

That's amazing, no more having to wait till the end of your term!

8. macrumors 6502

That's awesome. Don't even need to call for a SIM Unlock when I travel? Verizon looks better and better.

Holding off until we figure out whether the house we buy has U-Verse or FiOS. The discount AT&T U-Verse gives for bundling your phone with them is like $50 a month for the package we want! That's like free Internet!

9. macrumors newbie

I used another accounts upgrade, would this help me get the phone on my account?

I used my Mom's upgrade who is on another account. I was under the impression I could just bring the phone to the Verizon store and activate it on my account. She was up for renewal and I wasn't so I used her upgrade and paid for the phone. When I brought it to the store they said I'm not up for renewal so I won't be able to use the phone on my account.

Is there a way I can get the phone on my account? I'm going to give her my 4S and I've already signed her up for a data plan on her account.

Any ideas? Can I cut down the SIM card from my 4S and stick it in the Iphone 5 and have it be on my account?

10. macrumors G5

jav6454

Now the question is, which signal takes dominance? The Verizon CDMA signal or the AT&T GSM signal when a Verizon activated (and in service) iPhone 5 is fed an AT&T nano-SIM.

Or does the iPhone let you select which carrier? I hunk this last statement is mostly true.

11. macrumors regular

Call Verizon on the phone and they'll help you. Just make sure to activate the iPhone 5 on her account first. After that, you should be good to go on your account.

Yes, you can cut down the SIM but I wouldn't recommend that. Verizon should give a nano SIM for free.

12. macrumors 68040

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    Finally!! Verizon users can talk and surf at the same time!! :p

13. macrumors 6502

Nice for VZW customers. I almost jumped ship to have the ability to unlock when I went abroad. Definitely a selling point for them. Wish AT&T would offer something like this - I'd even agree to pay a higher ETF for it.

14. macrumors 6502

Any news on the AT&T variant? Is it unlocked also?

15. macrumors newbie

I thought on Verizon that you won't be able to do this. Has this changed?

16. macrumors newbie

17. macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick reply. We are completely different accounts. Not the same line on the same account but different accounts under different names. The Verizon store said I won't be able to do this but I was hoping there was some loophole or something. I'm going to give Verizon a call this evening when I have more time. Thanks again for the reply. Much appreciated.

18. macrumors 6502a

19. macrumors demi-god

hhahahhahha rofl

20. macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

You didn't get the joke. ;)

21. macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Cool my buddy is selling his verizon iPhone 5 and I can use it on AT&T. Guess I'll just buy it :)

Added:
    Isn't this what happened before and then the phone providers locked it once they got word? Thinking it was Sprint maybe?

22. macrumors newbie

Ha ha you are right. Got it now. Ha ha. I'm dumb and posted too quick.

23. macrumors 6502

24. macrumors 65816

I think it was a joke. As in, Verizon users can now put in an AT&T SIM and talk and surf at the same time.

EDIT: never mind, I see that 5 more posts were made while I was typing this explaining it! :p

25. macrumors 65816

Nope, you have to buy the AT&T model in order to use the iPhone 5 on T-Mobile's LTE network.

It's beyond me why anyone goes with Verizon or AT&T. Both offer the same service as T-Mobile or Virgin, at almost double the price.

But hey, you get a subsidized phone.... :rolleyes: