Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vistadude

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 3, 2010
If I buy the Verizon iphone 5 and use it on at&t, can I run verizon exclusive apps such as NFL mobile and red zone?

Thanks.

ericg301

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2010
if you buy the verizon iphone 5, it will not work on the AT&T network, period.

as0016

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2012
yes it will, it just won't get LTE. The vzw iphone 5 has both gsm and cdma radios and is sim unlocked per VZW's agreement with the FCC to purchase certain frequencies.

albertxp06

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2011
California
Since the Verizon iPhone is unlocked, you will be able to use it on AT&T. You just won't get LTE on AT&T.

As for Verizon apps, I just downloaded the NFL Mobile app on my AT&T iPhone and I can confirm it's working just fine. I don't think the apps would check if you have a Verizon or other carrier signal.

cnguyen0320

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2012
Since the Verizon iPhone is unlocked, you will be able to use it on AT&T. You just won't get LTE on AT&T.

As for Verizon apps, I just downloaded the NFL Mobile app on my AT&T iPhone and I can confirm it's working just fine. I don't think the apps would check if you have a Verizon or other carrier signal.

I talked to a Verizon rep. The "unlocked" part of the phone is international only. It won't work on AT&T or T-Mobile.

Charadis

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2010
I talked to a Verizon rep. The "unlocked" part of the phone is international only. It won't work on AT&T or T-Mobile.

That's funny. My white Verizon iPhone 5 32GB seems to be working on AT&T's network just fine right now. Wifi is off and I'm posting this response on cellular connection. Sent from my iPhone 5

Charadis

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2010
*still wonders why people would put a verizon iPhone on at&t*

For me, it was about opportunity and choice. I was upgrade eligible with my AT&T plan, and at the same time, my mother had a vacant line on her Verizon fam plan that I snatched up. Picked up Verizon 32GB white 5 on launch day, then decided to pick up AT&T white 16GB 5 about a week later via Apple Store reserve system.

Upon comparing phones, the AT&T phone was in perfect shape, except the Home button felt slightly "squishier," and the Sleep button was slightly more recessed into bezel, and the left edge of the top glass back inlay was not completely flush with the back (was very obvious with a skin on). The front glass also didn't seem as tightly flush with the bezel at the top, and the screen looked a deep purple tint with polarized shades on (mucho importante inconvenience to me!).

My launch Verizon phone, on the other hand, had a minuscule "dent" or "chip" on upper right front corner of chamfer, and the back Apple logo had a horizontal line running across. Here's the desirable part about it: Home button was tight, screen looked normal with polarized shades on!!, and front glass was comparably more flush with bezel at top (as in, you couldn't stick a paper between it). I also liked having a factory unlocked phone out of the box!

Didn't want to return either phone, so I sold the AT&T phone for $850, stuck with AT&T plan because of unlimited plan and 1000 texts (both grandfathered). And I'd do it all over again if I could. Sent from my iPhone 5.

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
For me, it was about opportunity and choice. I was upgrade eligible with my AT&T plan, and at the same time, my mother had a vacant line on her Verizon fam plan that I snatched up. Picked up Verizon 32GB white 5 on launch day, then decided to pick up AT&T white 16GB 5 about a week later via Apple Store reserve system.

Upon comparing phones, the AT&T phone was in perfect shape, except the Home button felt slightly "squishier," and the Sleep button was slightly more recessed into bezel, and the left edge of the top glass back inlay was not completely flush with the back (was very obvious with a skin on). The front glass also didn't seem as tightly flush with the bezel at the top, and the screen looked a deep purple tint with polarized shades on (mucho importante inconvenience to me!).

My launch Verizon phone, on the other hand, had a minuscule "dent" or "chip" on upper right front corner of chamfer, and the back Apple logo had a horizontal line running across. Here's the desirable part about it: Home button was tight, screen looked normal with polarized shades on!!, and front glass was comparably more flush with bezel at top (as in, you couldn't stick a paper between it). I also liked having a factory unlocked phone out of the box!

Didn't want to return either phone, so I sold the AT&T phone for $850, stuck with AT&T plan because of unlimited plan and 1000 texts (both grandfathered). And I'd do it all over again if I could. Sent from my iPhone 5.

Well now you can't get LTE, I would have gotten the AT&T one replaced and stuck with both of them probably.

cnguyen0320

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2012
Well now you can't get LTE, I would have gotten the AT&T one replaced and stuck with both of them probably.

A lot of us aren't covered by AT&T's LTE yet anyway. I know I'm not so it wouldn't really matter to me. I have a question though.... Is the AT&T iPhone unlocked to international carriers?

Charadis

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2010
A lot of us aren't covered by AT&T's LTE yet anyway. I know I'm not so it wouldn't really matter to me. I have a question though.... Is the AT&T iPhone unlocked to international carriers?

EXACTLY. Coming from the iPhone 4, the 5 is already a big jump from 3G with HSPA+ (AT&T's 4G) and faster processor and more RAM. HBO Go and YouTube in HQ run sufficient in my surrounding areas to stream movies/clips comfortably. I toyed between the networks for a time, and Verizon's LTE is incredibly fast; but, realistically, there's nothing I do on this phone that I absolutely need that kind of speed. Except to show off. Sent from my iPhone 5.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.