Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dyab

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2012
Maybe it really is something related to their network, and not the phone then? Anyone other than the south with this problem?

I'm having the same problem with the 2 iPhone 5's I purchased Friday. Both of the phones are on Verizon and are the 32 gb versions and I live in San Antonio. I tested the Verizon i5 demos and they all had the same delay I am experiencing, maybe a software glitch? I'm going to the Apple store today to see if anything can be done.

And I don't think the iPad would share the same problems because I thought they had different LTE chips installed. Also, wouldn't Sprint customers have the same problems we are?

GuitarDTO

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2011
Good to know LTE iPads aren't having this issue, it seems like the problem is being pointed towards the iPhone itself. I may try Apple support again this afternoon. I would imagine if every Verizon iPhone user were experiencing this problem we would have more hits in the forums. Maybe its somehow isolated to a bad batch of LTE chips/Sim Cards?

----------

I will be at an Apple store on Tuesday and should be able to compare my phone to the performance of the display phones there. If this is an isolated issue affecting some phones, I will swap for a new one. If the problem presents itself on the display phones too, I will cross my fingers and hope that Apple comes up with a fix.

Let us know what you find, I may try and swing by an Apple store tomorrow to do the same thing. If I bought my phone through Verizon, will I be able to exchange it for another iPhone through Apple? Or would I have to go through Verizon?

Leemz21

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2012
When LTE becomes slow like that, the towers are being maxed out. Each tower has an allocated bandwidth it can use for LTE. Some can handle more because they are allocated a larger bandwidth. These would be in places near downtown, etc, while residential areas would not need as much bandwidth. However, with a few million more users added this weekend, and everyone wanting to test out 4G, the slowdown will occur

I don't think this has anything to do with the network or location. My Verizon iPad's LTE works perfectly fine right next to my iPhone 5. No delay/lag either. Definitely something with the phone.

----------

Is anyone on verizon in the orlando area getting good upload speeds on 4g? I cant seem to get more than 1mbps.

I am in the Orlando area and I noticed the same. I rarely get above 1Mbps upload. On my LTE iPad I get much higher upload speeds.

----------

I'm also getting the same lag when I turn off LTE. This wasn't the case with the 4S so I really hope this is software.

tomiwah

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2012
Just stopped by a Verizon store. Both demo phones had the same problem. There was another person in there considering returning his black phone for a white one. I asked him if I could check his Internet and his phone had the same issue. There is another Verizon store close by that I am going to check now, but I am starting to think this issue is not isolated to a few phones. Too much of a coincidence.

tomiwah

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2012
Including my phone, the problem is identical on six of six phones I tested today. It doesn't happen on any Android phones. I would actually consider the GSIII if I wasn't so tied I to Apple's ecosystem and if I didn't hate the screen (off topic, but M I the only one who thinks the Internet is too dark even at max brightness on the GSIII and could not live with the oversaturated colors?).

mvsrt99

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2011
Great to see posts about this....I'm having the same issue.

Can someone sticky this?

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
Same issue noticed on Verizon LTE in Atlanta but only with my iPhone 5 -- not on my third-gen Verizon iPad. I first assumed it was a DNS issue; but now I suspect that the LTE chip is going to sleep to save battery. Since it only happens on the phone as far as I can tell, I suspect it's a power saving "feature" that is necessary for the phone to squeeze as much juice out of a charge as possible.

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
Since some people are having the problems and others not, some process of elimination needs to be done. How many when setting up for first time did from a backup or new? How many have email set to push? How many have location services on? How many have icloud set to back up everything? Again since many do not have this issue, it cant be a universally bad chip. You may have a defective phone or the LTE service in your area could be having problems.

tomiwah

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2012
Same issue noticed on Verizon LTE in Atlanta but only with my iPhone 5 -- not on my third-gen Verizon iPad. I first assumed it was a DNS issue; but now I suspect that the LTE chip is going to sleep to save battery. Since it only happens on the phone as far as I can tell, I suspect it's a power saving "feature" that is necessary for the phone to squeeze as much juice out of a charge as possible.

I had the same thought. It happens even if you are using the phone and on the same webpage for an extended period of time. I have not seen any discussions of this issue on AT&T iphones though. Also, I think a lot of folks using LTE for the first time do not realize that the delay is not normal. The other person at the VZW store whose phone I tested thought it was normal until I showed him that the other LTE phones didn't the lag.

----------

Since some people are having the problems and others not, some process of elimination needs to be done. How many when setting up for first time did from a backup or new? How many have email set to push? How many have location services on? How many have icloud set to back up everything? Again since many do not have this issue, it cant be a universally bad chip. You may have a defective phone or the LTE service in your area could be having problems.

I have yet to see a post from someone with a VZW iPhone that has not had this issue. I have set my phone up as a new phone (when activating at VZW store) and restored it from an iTunes backup. The issue was the same both times.

gbuc95

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2012
Including my phone, the problem is identical on six of six phones I tested today. It doesn't happen on any Android phones. I would actually consider the GSIII if I wasn't so tied I to Apple's ecosystem and if I didn't hate the screen (off topic, but M I the only one who thinks the Internet is too dark even at max brightness on the GSIII and could not live with the oversaturated colors?).

Agree about the Galaxy S3 screen

----------

I took my phone back to apple and they gave me a new phone but unfortunately the new one is doing the same thing.:mad:

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Agree about the Galaxy S3 screen

----------

I took my phone back to apple and they gave me a new phone but unfortunately the new one is doing the same thing.:mad:

The stock S3 has a separate brightness adjustment for the browser. The ones you've seen may have had theirs set too low.

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010

Since people are noticing the problem with all the demo units in at least some VZW stores, I suspect it's a widespread issue. Maybe it's just affecting VZW iPhone 5 handsets, but I bet the reason it's not being more frequently reported is that many people don't realize that the delay is a problem right now.

For me, it's a slight annoyance but far from a deal breaker. I had proximity sensor issues with the AT&T iPhone 4 when it first came out and I switched to an Android handset because I needed to call people without my cheek hanging up on them. Needless to say, I won't be going back to Android again. I'll be waiting for Apple to fix this issue, and I'm confident they will. In the meantime, I can deal with it.

Last edited:

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
It may be a widespread problem in your area with the network. I highly doubt its a chip issue since many people do not have this problem outside certain areas of Florida, Georgia and Texas. Networks have to be specifically set up to handle all the 4G phones and chipsets. If your network in your area was not set up properly, certain phone brands may have problems. Its a weekend too, and verizon likely wont fix it until monday.

GuitarDTO

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2011
I also went to my Verizon store today, and was planning to exchange the phone for another. It turns out, both Demo phones at my store were also doing this. There were no phones in stock to exchange but it sounds like it wouldn't have mattered. This issue seems widespread. It turns out though the salesman claims I am the only person who has come into complain about it though.

The iPads and Android phones in the store did not have this problem. How can we continue to elevate this?

jredecop

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2009
I have a developer account and submitted this forum to apple. Lets see what happens.

Leemz21

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2012
I have a developer account and submitted this forum to apple. Lets see what happens.

Thanks for submitting this. I hope it's a software bug they can fix in an update. I also submitted the issue to apple.com/feedback and I know some people on here have called AppleCare about this.

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
Just another question, is this just happening with Safari browser when browsing? Does it exist with any other browser when it comes to displaying pages after phone is unlocked? The new Safari on my imac is also slow to load, compared to firefox, chrome, etc.

Leemz21

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2012

I highly doubt it's a network issue as my ups on Verizon LTE has no issues (right next to the iPhone 5 with the issue). Also people aren't experiencing this on androids so it has to be limited to the phone/software.
As for me, I set this up as a new iPhone, have iCloud enabled and have email pushed.

tomiwah

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2012
Just another question, is this just happening with Safari browser when browsing? Does it exist with any other browser when it comes to displaying pages after phone is unlocked? The new Safari on my imac is also slow to load, compared to firefox, chrome, etc.

It happens in any app that requires a data connection.

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
I highly doubt it's a network issue as my ups on Verizon LTE has no issues (right next to the iPhone 5 with the issue). Also people aren't experiencing this on androids so it has to be limited to the phone/software.
As for me, I set this up as a new iPhone, have iCloud enabled and have email pushed.

If your network is not properly set up for the iphone 5 chipset, you may have problems while other brands of phones do not. The networks are set up regionally, not nationally, so if the upgrade was not properly installed on your network, then every iphone 5 on that network would have issues. That is why people in some parts of country, west, midwest and northeast are not reporting widespread problem, while those in the south are.

Leemz21

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2012
If your network is not properly set up for the iphone 5 chipset, you may have problems while other brands of phones do not. The networks are set up regionally, not nationally, so if the upgrade was not properly installed on your network, then every iphone 5 on that network would have issues. That is why people in some parts of country, west, midwest and northeast are not reporting widespread problem, while those in the south are.

So would that affect the 3G network too? Because I am noticing the issue even if I turn off LTE, and use 3G.

Blinkthisone82

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2012
Lag issue

iPhone 5 with verizon in Panama City Beach, Fl. Having the same issue. It seems like my phone is trying to catch a connection or something. Whether Siri is trying to do a task or using safari it seems to lag. But when it finally gets a connection it's lightening fast. I have full bars and LTE is on but it seems that sometimes it has to "warm up" I love my phone but hate the connection. Hoping this is fixed soon

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
So would that affect the 3G network too? Because I am noticing the issue even if I turn off LTE, and use 3G.

Yes, because the iphone 5 has a different 3G/4G chipset compared to all the rest of the 3G and 4G phones on the verizon network.

Bublik2002

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2012
Im having the same issues in miam, fl with both mine and my wifes iphone 5. Is there anyone thats not having these issues.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.