Verizon iPhone 5 preparing to travel to Germany

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by drnscr, Feb 26, 2013.

1. macrumors newbie

Apr 12, 2011
    Help. I apologize if this has been asked/answered already but, here goes. I'm going to travel to Germany due to a family emergency and would like to get a German nano SIM card to put in my phone to use while i'm in Germany to avoid monstrous roaming charges. Is this possible or does anyone have a suggestion? I'm assuming it's as simple as popping the Verizon nano SIM out and replacing it with a German sim...

thank you in advance

2. macrumors 68020

Jan 2, 2011
    If the Verizon phone is unlocked than yes. You can just pop the old sim out and put the new one in.
  3. macrumors 601

Dec 18, 2012
    Charlotte, NC
    The Verizon 5 is already unlocked so yeah it's as simple as swapping out SIM cards.
  4. thread starter macrumors newbie

Apr 12, 2011
    Thank you all

Thanks for the reply. One last question, in terms of obtaining the micro sim for my i5 and a nano sim for my iPad 4, any recommendations as to what vendor to use?
  5. macrumors member

Sep 23, 2012
    Telestial is one or do a search for Europe SIM cards.
  6. macrumors 6502

Dec 31, 2011
    the iPhone 5 should be a nano SIM too if I remember right
  7. macrumors member

Jun 6, 2012

well, in germany there are basically 2 big networks. On the one hand there is T-Mobile and on the other hand Vodafone. Both have prepaid plans.
    If you want great network coverage you should definitely consider one of them.
  8. macrumors 68030

Apr 30, 2012
    im going to iceland in june, so ive been researching the same thing.

basically, most airports have kiosks where you can buy pre-paid starter packs on the cheap. when you land, head to the nearest vodafone or tmobile kiosk (or 3rd party reseller) in the airport and they should be able to help you out. and yes, its as easy as popping out your verizon sim and putting in your pre paid.

spend the extra cash (usually alot more than prepaid) and just activate international roaming on your verizon sim. seeing how vodafone is part owner of verizon wireless, they may have some international roaming deals. i checked it out on verizons website, and its pretty steep vs local sim. the only positives of this is that you wont need to change sim cards, you will have your same number and it will just tack it onto your verizon bill.
  9. macrumors 6502a

Mar 22, 2009
    Correct. iPhone 5 uses a NanoSIM.