Verizon iPhone in Canada?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Brewerpaul, May 26, 2011.

1. macrumors regular

We're going to Montreal in June and naturally I'd like to use my iPhone there. We have a US Verizon account. Anyone know what kind of charges there would be for Canadian service? I take it that I can still use the hotel's WiFi with no charge.

2. macrumors 6502

InsanelyApple

Download Google Voice and when you need a phone you should have Wifi for the app and then you won't have to pay for the high reaming costs.

3. macrumors 603

mrkramer

Google voice uses your minutes all it does is let's you use your google number with your cell phone.

4. macrumors Nehalem

Applejuiced

Is there any CDMA carriers in Canada?

5. macrumors member

As a Canadian I can tell you I have no clue how to tell if my iphone is CDMA and good luck finding 'free hotel wifi' anymore. Last time I tried to stay at a hotel around here, 90$ for a week per device. :/

6. macrumors 603

mrkramer

I believe there are two although they have switched to GSM. However they still run their CDMA networks.

7. macrumors Nehalem

Applejuiced

Oh, I see.
    So if their CDMA network is still up and running the OP should be able to connect and have service there.
    For details on rates about minutes, texts and data he should call verizon for more info.