Verizon Leaving iPhone 5 SIM Slots Unlocked as Required by FCC Network Access Regulations

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 24, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last week it was reported that the Verizon iPhone 5 is being sold with an unlocked SIM slot, allowing users with a nano-SIM or a trimmed micro-SIM from a GSM carrier such as AT&T to use the device on their networks. The Associated Press confirmed with Verizon that it will not remotely relock their iPhone 5 models. Last year, Verizon would only unlock their iPhone 4S models after 60 days.

It's worth noting that though the Verizon iPhone 5 will work on AT&T and T-Mobile's 3G network for voice and data, the phone will not work on AT&T's LTE data network. It will work on a number of international LTE networks. Apple's LTE information page details the bands that each specific model of iPhone 5 supports.

The main reason for the unlocked SIM card slot appears to be FCC network access requirements for Block C, the 700 MHz spectrum that Verizon uses for its LTE network. According to the FCC's CFR Title 47 Part 27.16 paragraph (e):
    Sprint iPhone 5 models are SIM-locked, but customers can request unlocking after three months for international use. AT&T's existing unlock policy -- to unlock off-contract phones only -- remains in effect for the iPhone 5.

Article Link: Verizon Leaving iPhone 5 SIM Slots Unlocked as Required by FCC Network Access Regulations

2. macrumors 6502a

Way to go, FCC!

3. macrumors 6502a

Craiger

Doesn't ATT use the 700MHz band as well? I guess there is something I am missing.

4. macrumors 6502

This is bunch of garbage...They should unlock it and let people do whatever the hell they want to do once they pay the ETF......I hate the way this all runs.If have paid your dues then let me do whatever the hell I want to do with my stuff.

5. macrumors regular

So hopefully next year's model will use Qualcomm's recently announced "worldwide" LTE band chip?

6. macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

How can that rule apply to all Smart Phones and yet Verizon is the only carrier that has it fully unlocked pretty much? Shouldn't it be this way for all carriers then? Is Sprint only unlocking for international use? Or does the Sprint model also work on AT&T out of the box?

7. macrumors 6502

Sixtafoua

Bottom line: AT&T still sucks.

8. macrumors 6502a

jent

So AT&T and Sprint don't use the 700MHz band as well? That's disappointing that only certain frequencies have unlock requirements. I hope this is a step in the right direction of moving away from carrier locks.

9. macrumors regular

Although I am happy that I have moved to Sprint ( Still waiting on my IP5 Tracking number! ) from AT&T - this is nice thing from Verizon. I will never join AT&T again. I have been with them for 5 years too damn long! Never again.

10. macrumors 65816

FuNGi

Yup. I can't wait to leave them in the dust once my lady-friends' 4S contract is up.

11. macrumors 6502a

i-John

That's the way it is. If you fulfill your contract obligations, they will unlock it.

----------

Verizon use 13 (700c MHz)
    AT&T use 17 (700b MHz)

FCC requires the C block to be unlocked.

12. macrumors regular

so will the AT&T iPhone 5 work on Verizon's network?

13. macrumors 6502a

Hmm...why didn't the FCC force the other carriers to do the same thing when they purchased their LTE spectra? Is there something special about this 700Mhz band that Verizon acquired? Don't get me wrong, I think this pro-consumer regulation (for a change!) is downright fabulous--but ALL carriers should be forced to do the same thing.

And also--does that mean that all the other LTE handsets with GSM capabilities are also unlocked by Verizon? Or is the iPhone the only LTE smartphone that includes GSM radios in addition to the CDMA+LTE bands in the case of Verizon?

14. macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

1 year, 7 months and my iP4s is no longer hostage to AT&T. Freedom at last!!!!

Wait... that's a freaking long time. :eek:

15. macrumors 6502a

i-John

No. LTE doesn't work. The Verizon phone works on AT&T's HSPA+ network, but AT&T can't go the opposite way since it doesn't have a CDMA chip.

16. macrumors 6502

Glad the FCC is stepping in. I wish they would make AT&T unlock their devices as well, tired of AT&T's unlock rules and regulations. The moment Verizon offers an LTE network that supports simultaneous voice/data I will jump ship. Tired of AT&T's rules and poor customer service.

-Mike

17. macrumors 68040

Dwalls90

Beat me to it!

I like these kinds of movements! GO FCC :D

18. macrumors 6502a

i-John

There is probably a reason. The FCC don't like giving too much spectrum to one carrier, and it depends on how they wanted to acquire it and for what reasons. It's possible the FCC has some use for it also.

19. macrumors member

That's an iphone issue. The galaxy nexus and s3 support data/voice simultaneously.

20. macrumors 68040

No. Verizon controls phones it allows on its network. Only Verizon certified devices are allowed. Which basically mean Verizon makes up the rules.

21. macrumors regular

22. macrumors 6502

FCC needs to expand on this further so it encompasses things like using all your phones features despite what plan you have. **** like facetime only for shared data plans? WTF....

23. macrumors 6502a

whoknows87

Great, So a Verizon iPhone 5 is unlocked to work on any GSM network ( out of the box unlocked) but no LTE support, CDMA Phones are always cheaper so might score a verizon i5 soon, no need to purchase IMEI Unlocks

:D

24. macrumors 6502a

Dang I have Sprint, luckily I don't go abroad until January, so that will just be over 3 months.

25. macrumors 65816

JoJoCal19

Well this makes me happy. Was leaning towards a Lumia 920 but this tidbit might push me back towards the iPhone 5.