Verizon Moto. BlueTooth V710 Cell Phone?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Sweetfeld28, Sep 28, 2004.

1. Sweetfeld28 macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

I was just wondering if anyone has bought this phone yet, or is it even compatable with iSync?

Moto V710

2. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

Unless they've recently changed things, that phone's Bluetooth functionality has been intentionally crippled by Verizon. For one thing you can't transfer pictures from the phone to your computer.

Do a search on both this forum and on slashdot.org. Actually, here's the Slashdot story

3. Flyinace2000 macrumors 6502a

Flyinace2000

Hello,

I own the phone and BT does suck on it. No OBEX so no iSync yet. There is a firmware update in the works that will fix this. You can do iSync with the moto cable. check out the special section on
    HowardForums

4. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I certainly hope that they will find a fix soon. My wife is interested in having that functionality when she needs to get the next phone.

5. Sweetfeld28 thread starter macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

ok, now i understand why all of verizons phones suck.

thanks, guys.

6. joshua_msu macrumors regular

joshua_msu

Well, they do get the best signal in most places though however.

7. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

they really do.... but have the best service.....

8. denm316 macrumors 6502

Verizon is money hungry, however they do have the best network.

The v710 is unable to bluetooth sync with iSync, due to Verizon crippling bluetooth, however it works perfectly with using the motorola usb cable. Verizon is supposedly working on a fix for this, but people have been sating that since the beginning of August, so dont hold your breath on it, it is one of those believe it when you see it.

However the phone work great as a bluetooth modem. I am able to dial up to the internet with my powerbook, the functionality is there and is working correctly.

9. MacUser1 macrumors 6502

MacUser1

damn, i was really looking forward to getting this phone, too. i love the coverage i get with verizon, but the features of their phones aren't that great.

10. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Fortunately for us consumers, T-Mobile is on Verizon's network.

11. Flyinace2000 macrumors 6502a

Flyinace2000

I thought T-Mobile was GSM...... am i mistaken?

12. joshua_msu macrumors regular

joshua_msu

What? T-mobile probably has the smallest coverage network of any of the nationwide carriers, while Verizon has the largest. Also, they do not share eachothers networks for the simple fact that they use two different technologies. Verizon is 3G CDMA in most places, while T-mobile is GMS

13. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

Are you sure it's Verizon's fault. One of my customers has a v600 w/ bluetooth, but it is from Cingular and another one from ATT. The PowerBook's see them just fine, but iSync still doesn't work (documentated on the iSync page) but will work via USB cable. It seems to me it's more a Motorola/Apple problem, at least with the Motorola's from Cingular and ATT.

jon

14. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

My wife likes her LG phone and the service. It is very important to her for her job.

15. denm316 macrumors 6502

The features of the phone work great, it is just that Bluetooth/iSync thing that bugs me, once that is fixed all is good.

16. denm316 macrumors 6502

Verizon stated in an article in the NY times that they disabled the bluetooth transfer support(OBEX) because they were afraid people would be able to transfer games they bought off Verizons GIN(get-it-now) service to a fiends phone.

They stated that the address book sync will be fixed, for both mac and pc's(right now bluetooth does not even work with motorolas mobile phone tools app for the PC). Verizon also stated that they have no plans on allowing wallpaper/ringtones/movies or games to be transferred via Bluetooth.

17. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

And, almost certainly, the REAL reason is they want to require that you use their for-fee service to transfer pictures you've taken with the phone's camera, even to your computer. :D

18. ocellnuri macrumors regular

The way Verizon tries to shove everything through GetItNow is very annoying. I understand that they want to make money... but if my phone has a camera, I'd like to be able to get pictures off of it without having to go through the phone network. I'd also like to be able to load my own images and sound files without having to e-mail them to my phone. All of this is possible with the cable... I wish they'd give up try to control the same thing through Bluetooth.

19. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

Motorola's interface design and bluetooth implementations are far inferior to anything from SonyEricsson. That said, when you are buying a phone for Verizon's CDMA network, you have to expect second-best in handsets. That is the trade-off you make in order to get a more reliable network.

20. denm316 macrumors 6502

My other issue with this is that they wont allow you to transfer mp3's either. Motorola advertises this phone as an mp3 player as well. How in the world can a company charge $0.25 to put each mp3 file on your mp3 player.

I can only imagine if Apple charged to put the songs on the iPod, I have 3346 songs, that would be $836.50. Thank god Apple isnt gready like Motorola.

21. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

I've had this phone for over a month now, and I love it. While the crippled Bluetooth is pretty upsetting, the rest of the features make up for it. As others have stated, iSync works fine through the USB cable. Also, this phone has a memory card slot, so you can snap your pictures directly to it, and pop it into a card reader on your Mac to get your pictures. I have a 128MB memory card, so I can fit quite a few pictures. Also, it plays MP3's through either the speakerphone or a separetly purchases stereo set of headphones. As if thats not enough, it plays videos as well. You can convert any video to the .3gp format through Quicktime and play them on the phone. You can easily fit more than an hour's worth of video on it. As if all that's not enough, it has the aformentioned speakerphone, a beautiful display, analog, and speaker-independent voice dial, which works very well for me. And the Bluetooth works perfectly with my PowerBook for accessing the internet. While the phone does have its bugs, and the crippled Bluetooth, it's definately one of the coolest phones available in the US right now.

Attached Files:

22. evoluzione macrumors 68020

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be

no it isn't. as someone else said, verizon is cdma and t-mobile is gms.

also, why does my t-mobile phone not work in my apartment, at all, yet my girlfriend's verizon phone works fine?????

now, at+t IS on the t-mobile network as far as i'm aware.